iris bloom question

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

this iris bloomed today, months after all the others. is this common? it was not planted this year. i inherited this bed from my cousin and have been trying to document colors to plan for next year. this is the first bloom of the year for this one. my cousin has not planted any iris since spring of 2010. i love having an iris bloom now ! i guess my question is would this be the time of year i could expect a bloom next year and are they many that bloom now? here they bloom in april and may.

it is actually a very pale lilac although it looks white.

Thumbnail by risingcreek
South Hamilton, MA

It could be a reblooming iris. Did it bloom earlier in the yr?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

not that i am aware of. i went back over all the photos i have taken since april 1st and none look like it. i could have missed it though. do the colors ever fade? like be a brighter lilac in the spring and then a very light lilac now?

South Hamilton, MA

Colors can fade as the flower ages, but usually not season to season.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good to know

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Most of my irises bloom in the mid-late spring. They finished blooming by early June, yet every 2-3 weeks I get a surprise iris bloom. Most have been Ensatas, but there is a bud out there ready to open that may be a TBI.

On the other hand, some of my irises have not bloomed at all this year (separate garden), and I don't know if they will. Zone 6 has had the flukiest weather. So glad I'm not a flower shop who has to produce on demand.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i love the surprise blooms. wish i had more. i also had a whole area of irises that did not bloom at all (zone 9a) however, i dont know if i planted ones that had already bloomed. i do know i am hooked on irises. mine are all TB.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.