Eggplant damage

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

These are Ichiban eggplants- very young- 2-3"long, and every one has a hole- I have no clue what is doing it. I only have one plant- don't see any leaf damage-any help?

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Doesn't anyone have an answer to my problem?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8a)

I just found your post - did you get any response? I also have an eggplant problem - something (disease or insects) is damaging my eggplants too - it gets under the cap and eventually the eggplant falls off. I'm finding ants under all the caps, but not sure if that's a secondary effect....

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Never got any answers- I put sluggo aeound the plant and sprayed with a generic insect spray- so far no new damage, but still don't know what it was/is. I did see some shing trails on the underside of some leaves-slugs?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I get the same exact thing sometimes and I have always thought slugs to be the culprit. Not sure though, but slugs are our biggest problem here so they always get the blame. Hate those things.

Sherman, CT

Oddly enough, was just talking about this problem with a friend a few hours ago. She says it was voles--they climbed in at one end and dug their way up right through the eggplant!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

That looks like critter damage. All the holes are nearly identical, to me that suggests a furry or feathered friend is eating them.
Maybe a small protective cage of wire or mesh around them.

Or my grandfather answer to critters in the garden.
A 6 pack and a rifle.
The 6 pack is to drink while you wait for the offender to show themselves.
I think the rest explains itself.

I jest about killing, but it still makes me snicker when he says it.
As you might imagine, this technique also works on inlaws.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Doesn't the 6 pack mess up your aim so you end up missing them when they do show up? LOL

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Well since my grandfather drinks michelob, I don't think so. Lol
Taste like swill water to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.