Monarda Suggestions

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a red one...all the tag said was "Panorama Red Shades". I love the color but once it get so tall, if it rains or I water it flops over and is then on ground. I would like to have one that does not flop. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by nanny_56
(Zone 7a)

I have one called Coral Reef that is bright pink and doesn't flop. It's in mostly sun.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Nanny ----me too - the pinks stay up but the red flop over.

I have found that even in the 'flop' stage, if placed in the right site --the flopped bee balm doesn't look so bad because it is so leafy that it is hard to tell if flopped. I suppose I could erect a fence around or in front.

My pinks didn't do so hot this year because of the lack of rain or maybe unusual heat. I did water but while other plants did ok the pink bee balm did not. Usually very full and healthy...this year not so much ....but the red did real good...except for flopping after one of our too few hard rains.

Marlton, NJ

Hi Nanny, I have a problem with mine (Jacob Cline) flopping too but I've had to cage them anyway because of rabbits eating them.

I remember way back at another house I had one called Blue Stockings......I don't recall if it flopped or not!

Pittsburgh, PA

Cambridge Scarlet (red) gets about 30" tall and does not flop. Bluestone sells it.

I will checkout Bluestone!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know the name of the really old red Monarda that was sold and traded long ago?

Athens, PA

Arlene

how tall was the old red monarda? My MIL has some that is about 18" or so tall...

Mine are around 30" tall but in shade all afternoon so it's likely they'd be shorter with full sun but then they'd run rampant on me. I'll try and get a photo of them.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I had one called Rasberry Wine. It was gorgeous, but lost it to the drought. I 'm definatly going to replace it.

I have heard that one is real pretty!

Pittsburgh, PA

cambridge scarlet is an old one too.

Thumbnail by obliqua

I'd bet mine is Cambridge Scarlet. Thanks for mentioning it.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Mine is the old one, in sun. it's about 30" and doesn't flop. It does spread, though. the pic is by nutsfordaylily on a recent visit to my garden.

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pfg, Is it possible you have the straight species? I would really like to find a source for the "unadultered"
species if you can point me in the right direction.

In one spot I planted the Monarda didyma "Jacob Kline" with switch grass so the tall grass keeps it straight.
In another area I have it planted with swamp milkweed and cone flower and although they are all leaning to the left slightly
to reach toward the sun now that the street tree has grown large and shades them a bit they support each other.
I have also used the plant supporting plant trick most successfully with the grass little bluestem that flops for me so I added penstemon "Husker Red" between and behind these shorter grasses and not only are the grasses supported the fall color of the pinkish grass and red stems and leaves of the penstemon look good together.
It becomes a more natural type garden style to do it this way but not much different then the cottage garden style.

I also use small low fences in front of the garden and small trellises behind, side by side at the back, so the trellises form a fence.
The taller plants can be tied to the back "fence" and you can also tie twine from the front low fence to the back fence between plants like invisible guide wires.

I'll try to find out how long it's been here. It's at least 30 years, but could be pre- 1970. J will know if he planted it or it was here before that...

Pam

Sempervirens, The red monarda has been growing here at least since before 1970. The previous owner ran a nursery here from the mid-30's until then. The property is very old, however, and there is no telling how long it might have been here before that. It's very possible that it's the species. It certainly looks like the pictures on line. Send me a mail if you would like some in the fall...

Pam

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

My 'Jacob Kline' is in part-shade and doesn't flop (slight lean), and it's never developed powdery mildew which is more than I can say for many of the other monarda cultivars I've tried.

Thumbnail by 22cold
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Lots of pretty Monardas. I have been afraid to plant them for fear of too much re-seeding.

(Zone 7a)

Mine haven't reseeded at all.

Neither do mine. It's the rapid spread of roots that some people find to be too agressive for them.

Athens, PA

I want mine too and they seem to be increasing slowly. I have now taken the flower heads and have them upside down in small brown paper bags. I am thinking that perhaps some wintersowing will get them going.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

My brother has his nicely wedged between a lilac and a fence in part shade, no flopping! He has the red monarda, commonly referred to as 'oswego tea' native to NY. looks exactly like pfg's picture. Most likely that is the native variety as well. Can't wait to get my hands on the seeds this fall!!! :)

I'll have more than enough to share...

Pam

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I had read Monarda was a little hard to control e.g. aggressive. I guess it's by spread of roots (rhizomes) instead of seed. They are of the mint family. I think they are gorgeous and know the hummer's really like them.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Jacob Cline definitely won't reseed, I've tried every year to find seeds on it and haven't found even one. My other Monardas do seed a little but mostly they spread by the roots very quickly. However they are easy to rip out because they are shallow rooted. I would love to try the Cambridge Scarlet.. I was reading on a nurseries web site how that cultivar is from a cross between a M. didyma and M. fistulosa which makes it more tolerant of dry soil.. That's what I need in my dry sandy yard.. Jacob Cline is always losing it's lowers leaves on me and because I knew my soil was dry I planted it in part shade, it did always get powdery mildew too. Most of it actually died out after last years very dry summer. My M. fistulosa is so much happier in my yard.
I just got a new Jacob Cline at a local nursery but now I wish I tried the Cambridge Scarlet. Is it as red and large flowered as Jacob Cline? The flowers on Jacob are so impressive!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.