butterfly bush exposed roots???

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I have a butterfly bush and large roots are exposed. Is this the way it is supposed to be. I know it is not blooming the way it was a couple years ago. Should I cover those roots with soil and is it better to prune it each year?

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I would definitely add 3-4 inches of good soil or planting mix and mulch. I cut back mine almost to the ground. After I'm done pruning each spring there are about 6" of old wood left.

Thanks killdawabbit I will diffently add some good compost to it. Did I understand that you prune yours in the spring?

Sami

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Anytime you want to really. Just make sure you prune it before new spring growth begins.
Oh yea, make sure to mulch. That will stop future erosion.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2011 8:35 PM

killdawabbit I added compost today and put lots of much around it. I did notice that all the new growth was from the top branches and all the wooded branches about a foot up had nothing on it. You said you pruned yours to about 6 inches. It just looks like that there is no growth on the bottom branches at all. You think this would be a mistake to prune it all the way back to where there is just woody growth.

Sami

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

It is probably not to late to prune it back to the ground. It sure won't kill it and you might get some flowers before frost. If it were mine I would prune it now.

Ok I will do that tomorrow morning. It is so hot here at this time I have to do everything in the early morning hours. It has been 101 in the shade here in NC. Thanks again I will let you know what happens.

Sami

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Also make sure you water it fairly regularly if you want it to rebound quickly. Until when I'm not sure. Probably end of September would be OK. Or longer? Someone else probably knows better.
Supposedly you're not supposed to force growth on some plants late in the summer. I don't think it matters because you are going to cut it back next spring again.

I think I will want until next month to do it. It is so hot here that we are having to water everything now. Even the trees are looking bad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.