My Grapes are rotting.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

The 8 +- year old Reliance grape vine looks great but the fruit is rotting when it should be plumping up. What can I do?
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Greensburg, PA

Is there a wound or puncture mark on the grapes that are rotting, generally in the area where the rot starts?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't see a puncture. Well maybe on a few but not uniformly. Some leaves show munching but there are no unknown bugs evident.

Greensburg, PA

I would certainly start off with spraying a broad spectrum fungicide rated for grapes, followed up with an insecticide as a precaution to prevent the problem from getting worse. We always experience a few grapes rotting because they get damaged for various reasons, but never had a serious problem with it. Your local agriculture extension office should be able to make a recommendation for grapes growing in your area.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Krowten.
The older vine has 50% loss already, another is fine only 10 feet away. I'll see about the fungicide.
Fruit are becoming too much to deal with. A Nectarine tree was crushed last winter, literally. It only produced black lumps so it was no loss. The apple has a hard time with Winter moths eating the inside of the buds. It takes so much spraying I'm not sure I want all those chemicals in the yard. The cherry tree looks great but doesn't produce. Only the pear is reliable.
Andy P

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 4:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.