Australian tree fern wilt

Sumter, SC

A few leaves(?) on my Australian tree fern are suddenly wilting. I immediately suspected ground voles, and removed the plant from the container I buried it in. There were no signs of any root damage, and there's a new leaf emerging that looks healthy. I don't think I've under or over watered. Hmmm...

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Might be just be a response to this crazy hot weather or perhaps it was injured somehow .. the rest of it in the picture looks healthy and happy .. I'd just cut off the dead stuff and keep an eye on new growth.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I agree and am jealous that you have this plant. I bought one from the Biltmore's garden store about 3 years ago and killed it. Would love to ahve another if and when I have room to overwinter it in my greenhouse.
Good luck!
Barb

Sumter, SC

Thanks, Barb and MmeX. I'll keep an eye on it and hope our triple digit heat is over soon. I'm looking forward to today's forecast high of 90f - it's all relative-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I can't remember exactly what it was but there is something unusual about watering tree ferns. It may be that you need to soak the trunk or something like that. If you have time to do an extensive search here on DG it will come up. I have already killed two of them yet I saw several mature ones growing successfully in the ground at a home on Folly Beach a few years ago.

Also, there are two different cultivars of tree ferns, one (and I don't know which) is hardier. Good luck with it.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I do remember something about watering them also. Water from the top down to increase humidity. They're from jungle environments, so need things steamy.
Now you've gotten me interested in these again. .;)
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL

Sumter, SC

They are beautiful, and there are 2 types. I bought mine at a nursery in Florence and the tag didn't indicate which type of Australian tree it was. It's supposed to be cold hardy to 10f, but I find that hard to believe, and I will be overwintering it indoors. It got drenched in last night's rain, and I will remember to douse the plant when I water. Will post a pic late summer if it survives.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.