Brugmansia winter 2011 chat ... part 3

West of Brisbane, Australia

OK, here's the new thread with one of my double pinks from the last growing season.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192060/

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Quote from chrissy100 :
Snap cestrum. I have read that the pollen will fluff up if you remove the antlers and put them in in a closed container.
I haven't done it but you could experiment with that and see if it happens.

A good one to try with the knightii pollen, Chrissy? Because almost every single one of my knightii crosses has knightii as the pod parent.
Mind you, I rather prefer to have the double as the pod parent but this is a good tip and worth trying with some of my other brugs.

Quote from chrissy100 :
I read somewhere that you can mix a little pre boiled cooled to tepid water to the pollen to enhance pollination,just enough to be able to spread it on the stigma sticky patch. I will try that as an experiment with knightii as soon as I can.
I suggest experiments now everyone has a few brugs to work with, you can try that kind of thing on your whites (the whites do have colour in their backgrounds. ...

Another good tip to try out, esp. with the overseas pollen.

Good reminder about the whites having colour in the background. Quite a few of the coloured doubles for example have a double white as a parent or grandparent.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 1:58 PM

Yes ...that tip was from a good breeder so it's worth it's weight in gold.
Lovely picture, can't wait until Spring.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Quite a few of the hybridisers on BGI, always wet the stigma so the pollen will attach...so that would be another way.

Quote from Seachanger :
I like the GB#2 crossing with the Dalai Lama X....BGI gives DL a great rap....they should be very compatable if all the best bits go through.....fingers crossed..xxxx

Dianne, I'm biased when it comes to Golden Butter: pretty much anything crossed with it excites me LOL But, yes, having a local with an overseas cross is doubly exciting :-)

I don't have many pics of the Pink Velvet X Dalai Lama cross but here is another ...

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Quote from Seachanger :
Quite a few of the hybridisers on BGI, always wet the stigma so the pollen will attach...so that would be another way.

I'm definitely going to try this the next time I pollinate!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Yay ...wet is the way to go.
Lovely cestrum ...you must be thrilled.

Dalai Lama is an interesting brug because, although it's a single yellow, it has doubles on both sides--the famous double-yellow The Chief as the pollen donor, and the double white/cream Lexy/GoldenLady/Tutu on the maternal side. So one could hope for some more coloured doubles, esp. coloured yellows, in subsequent crosses.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:18 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Wow love the family tree !!!! very cool!

Jacayna is one of my favourites, cestrum.....and your DL x PV looks like it.

Very cool tree....yes.

I've been experimenting with different ways of drawing the family trees--whatever method you use, it allows you to see the ancestry at a glance. Which I find very useful. (I just hope the copyright police don't smash down my door as those photos are not mine.)

Dianne, to my eye there's a lot of Ecuador Pink in my--oops, it's Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama, sorry about the confusion--seedling, with those vertical lines on the corolla. (Do they have a special name?)

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I think that those particular police would be very busy if they enforced that...
There might be a name for those lines but I haven't seen it....

I think that part is called a margin. So they are the margins perhaps.

Quote from Seachanger :
I think that those particular police would be very busy if they enforced that...

OK, maybe not the police, but the photographers themselves could be pretty peeved!

I had a quick look around and my notes say margin but I think that is incorrect, my notes written way back so I may have been mixed up the margin probably relates to the darker colouring around bottom of the skirt.
I will see if I can find out what these are.

I've only heard of the margin used in relation to the leaf, so I'm in the dark here ...
But 'margin' generally means around the edge of something, and those vertical stripes on my seedling don't fit that description.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:46 PM

Can't find a name but I know where I got the confusion from
http://ibrugs.com/Resources/HybridizingBrugmansia/BrugmansiaAnatomy.aspx
Before I understood I thought that last picture meant the stripes.
They may just be the "tube" (as a part of it).

Victoria, Australia

http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm

Lol snap ...so they are an extension of the corolla teeth?

Perhaps a question best asked over at BGI...?

Victoria, Australia

Completely off topic but what on earth?!
http://www.abads.org/abads/Anatomy/images/Copy_of_flower_position_upright.jpg
so do we have any upright-flowering brugs here??

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/10012/#b

Here it is again, Lucas....my Old Apricot flowers in a similar way, the first few flowers at the top will be upward facing then they turn down....

Merino, Australia

The upward flowers are like GHA when he has lots of flowers. It may be that the aurea habit comes out in some plants like the above 'Bert ' a bit more than others. Dont know about the first pic.
I did have a cutting grown plant here from Chrissy, which may have been one that died in the frost last year. It did flower a few years ago and as Dianne says, the buds all stuck straight up and so did the flowers at first until they opened fully , then hung down. That was a noid cutting but looked like OA.
Jean.

I think quite a few sit up before they open but the weight of the bloom pulls most of them down ...The earth Angel crosses seem to sit up pretty high and remain horizontal like GHA.
I am happy to say my competition seeds arrived today, wow all the way from Canada! quite a thrill to receive seeds from Canada, I can't even imagine them growing there and the poor growers having to keep them alive through a Canada Winter ???? wow is all I have to say!
So these are two of the darkest pink parents ...let's see what comes of those.
Lots of seeds to be planted as soon as the night temps creep up a bit.
I might buy some now these have come through ok. ^_^
Dianne have yours arrived yet ...
Jean you still have OA don't you?

Nope Chrissy, but if yours have, then mine won't be far away.

It's odd, but anything that I have had delivered from Canada, takes twice the time that the US takes..I wonder why?
I hope that we get at least one good one between us, though we will still have the genes....

Merino, Australia

Chrissy, the apricot one I thought may have been OA was I think, one that didnt recover from last years frost. When it did flower ,it opened white then turned a lovely apricot.
Pic is of the flowers back in 2009 when it flowered.
It was marked as a noid cutting from you.
Very pretty one. I was amused at the way the long thin buds stood upright then the flowers, as you say, slowly hung down.
When your seeds arrive, please let me know which of the Arghya ones I sent as it looks like I forgot to write on one of the envelopes for Dianne.
Be nice to know what you each have , I didnt write it down either, so stupid me.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Yes I will let you know Jean and thankyou again I hope I can make pretty babies for you.
Yes that looks like OA do you want some more of it in the Spring?
Mine survived the -5 C a few years back ...Wayne lost his mature one gosh I think it's because mine is growing in sand (the old sand pit) they don't like the cold and wet at the same time. Only guessing I, I may be wrong. Mine is well over a decade old, more like almost 15 years. It's roots are frost protected and it grows about 10ft from the bricks of my home (heat bank). Let me know anyway if you still want another try.
Dianne you should get your contest seeds pretty soon then it takes two/three days from my place to Vic probably quicker via the plane.

Merino, Australia

Thanks Chrissy, I would like to have OA again. It was so pretty with the white and the orange together. Is Maya our only variegated one in Aust ? I have a seedling here somewhere which has variegated Apricot Queen as a parent, but that variegation is green on green.
I want to try the cream and green as a contrast to all the green ones.
Going back to the heater, frosty here this morning.
Jean.

Yes, every Aussie garden should have one Old Apricot.
Took a few photos of some brugs in a friend's garden, grown as cuttings from my own plants. This is Dr Seuss X, darker than it normally is in my garden because it's growing in shade.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here is her Golden Butter, normally a much heavier flowerer than mine ever was but this year looking a little sickly (mites?) and so with relatively sparse flowers now. I could smell it in the middle of the day :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Of course I will send you some ...as well as a few other cuttings in the Spring. I just worked out that I have had Old Apricot since 1992.

The seeds have arrived Jean thanks so much ...I think they sound exciting ^_^ can't wait to find out what they will present us with.

Gosh GB looks a lot like Chloe ...I suppose the Aurea are all very similar, it's lovely cestrum.
The yellows are said to be a bit prone to things (as specially in Winter I suppose). Chloe is still going at about 12ft now though.

The aureas do look very similar. All mine are susceptible to leaf damage from mites etc. I notice it even in the seedling crosses with aurea as pod/pollen parent, eg those with GHA or Butterbomb (one or both of those crosses, can't rightly remember), including the one with OA as pod parent. It's particularly noticeable in my garden, and has been since the number of brugs growing here went from a few to a lot!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Its funny but down here, I find the aureas are the best for hardiness and lack of too many bug bites. Maybe they thrive more in the cool/cold
I have tiny little sluggies about 1/2 "long, that climb over everything including all over the greenhouses. You can see their tracks in the moisture. They are most likely what is feeding on the brugs at the moment. I notice that Elfin Pink, Musketeer, and Alphonse must be quite tasty. They have the most nibbles.
I dont have a great problem , just bites here and there. The full on bug attacks will come in the warm when they all wake up and see lunch growing around them. I have some Confidor systemic spray ready for the battle.
Wayne, I found that one of the PP's has a Y. Now I can watch it compete with "Giant " to see who will flower first.
Jean.

cestrum those stripes you were talking about are called ribs ...just saw a reference to them and the breeder called them ribs.
See you learn something every day ^_^ .

Ribs describes them perfectly!
Thanks, Chrissy.

My seeds have arrived from Canada.....yippee.

They are SuperSpot x BQ Melon D'eau......
if I can get just one to grow I will be very pleased.....
I am going to be very careful with these....what ever they need they will have..
Hope they aren't empty...
Whatever, it was very kind of Joelle to give them away and post them.

cestrum, if you want to see some really attractive ribs, have a look at the 3 sisters thread on BGI...gorgeous
That's what I like about my Ecuador pink x seedling....big bold ribs..

This is Joelle's pic of BQ Melon D'eau

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 6:33 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

You can expect to get a few empty corks with most seeds but it's unlikely that they'll all be empty, so I reckon you're on your way to some great seedlings, Dianne.

Could you post a link to that thread on BGI? Love some good ribs :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.