Does pot size matter too much for adenium obesum?

Lancaster, United Kingdom

Hi there.
I've grown a desert rose from seed and it's about 6 inches high now, and i want to plant it in a slightly nicer pot. I've seen these being planted in all sorts of pots, some shallow, some deeper. Does it really matter how deep the pot is, I'm looking at a few bonsai pots at the moment, they're 5cm deep; are they too shallow? They're about 17cm wide (and circular). I want the pots to be suitable for a long time, assuming they were well looked after, roughly how long would it be before the desert rose outgrew the pot? Sorry if this is a newbie question, I'm really new to this.
Seb.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Check out the Caudicifoirms forum. You will find your answer there. I know some usually plant in pot a little larger and leave it there until the fat root sort of fills the pot. Then they repot and lift the root a little above soil. As the root gets fatter, they keep lifting it. They love the sun. I just bought one at Walmart but have to get rid of the glued rocks that are on top of soil.

Viking, MN

New here, I have 5+ Desert Roses, thinking about repotting my largest into bonsai pot. He's about 4" at base and a bit over 9" tall... I want to get him replanted into bonsai planter before he gets to much to handle. He's not happy in a regular flower pot, it stays to moist... any advice??? I don't want to put him in a planter he won't be happy in..

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You should start a new thread, it will get more traffic.This thread is old. Good Luck!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a Desert Rose. What I find is that it actually likes LOTS of water, just does not want to stay soggy. Even in a what I always called a "Begonia Pot" (not the deep usual clay posts, and not a Bonsai Pot, but sort of in between height), they like water almost every day while growing. I have found the key to be a seriously well-draining potting mix. I tried using a lot of Perlite, but it tends to float up to the top and make a mess. So I bought some pumice (kind of $$ but you don't need much) and this works better. It also keeps the pot heavy-with pumice the heavy plant tends to fall over.
I also found that since they are from a very warm climate and here it is chilly much of the year, I like a clay pot (NOT glazed) rather than plastic or glazed ceramic because of the aeration problem. It also helps keep it heavy and prevents falling over.When I read threads from people in warm climates they advise against clay because it dries out too fast for them. MN gets hot briefly in summer, but the rest of the year you may be cool and dimly lit like me, so I am not sure what would be best.
I have tried Bonsai a bit. I think you would have trouble with Desert Rose in a Bonsai Pot, it may have to be watered twice a day.
I don't think you need a new thread, this one is now at the top, and your question is right on topic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.