Clean Tree Ideas?... around a pool area (& sandbox) in Ohio

Hi everyone! I viewed a few other forum posts regarding "clean trees"... but either were not in my region (Ohio) - zone 5... or didn't have exactly the same issues.

Anyhow, currently I have two Hawthorne trees planted next to our pool and sandbox for the kids. WHY, WHY would anyone plant a tree that drops hard berries ALL summer... and has 3" thorns I'm constantly trying to pick out of the grass... next to a pool (which was there first!) is beyond me.

But, luckily, I have "room" to play with and want to plant two additional trees about 15 feet away.... let those take root and start growing to a decent size... then cut the Hawthornes down and then replace them with something better.

So I am looking for a few different trees to plant around the pool/kids play area that will provide a little relief from the sun.... but mostly just decorative.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Can't want to get something else in the ground... and one year closer to chopping down the Hawthornes before one of the giant thorns goes in someone's foot!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

All trees drop things, it's a fact of life! Old leaves, dead twigs, seeds, etc., etc. Maybe you could try some magnolias, what they drop tends to be large (big leaves, large fruit) so fairly easy to pick out before it clogs the pool filter, and also outside of the pool-using season (flower petals in early spring, leaves and fruit in late autumn) so you could cover the pool to keep the stuff out.

Resin

PS no 'e' in hawthorn ;-)

Oh, I'm fine with spring flowers and fall leaves... even branches. No problems. On the other hand.... hard berries that I need to sweep up daily 'cause they are PAINFUL to walk on in bare feet by the pool.... (worse than my kids matchbox cars under feet) lol. And 3" thorns.... those I could definitely do without.

So by "clean"... sorry... I should have clarified... I meant "summer clean".

Also - I am not worried about anything in the pool filter... that's what it's there for. It's more trying to minimize the daily cleaning I need to do to walk outside, sit on my patio furniture, and lastly, let the kids play freely without worrying they are going to get a thorn in their foot. (which has happened once... and don't want to go thru that again.)..... Have I mentioned the Hawthorn is a horrible tree to put anywhere near a "barefoot" area? :-)

Thanks again for any help!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

What zone are you in? My first thought was hardy bananas. When they get really large they cast quite a bit of shade. No muss no fuss. Well, maybe one cleanup in winter or spring if you want to get rid of the dead foliage.
Just a thought. :-)
It would help if you posted a pic of the area. You might need something larger.
If you're set on a tree I'd try maybe thornless honey locust. Graceful and fast growing. There is even a yellow-foliaged variety.
I'll try to think of some more and post again later. Good luck!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Zone 5 was mentioned in the original post.

I'd offer the idea of Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentukea), Japanese Tree Lilac (Syringa reticulata), and Chinese Tree Lilac (Syringa pekinensis) as spring blooming trees that only produce dry seeds by fall.

Any maple (Acer spp.) works in this sense as well. You pick the size range that you can tolerate, and then go to town. Many are large shade trees, and many are smaller ornamentals with handsome flowers, fruits (samaras), great bark characteristics, and flagrant fall colors.

Not much there to impact bare feet - but a lot to enjoy with the flowers early and the shade through hot summers.

Depending on your soil type, moisture levels, interest in eccentricity, and whether you want to dote on your trees...here are a few more:

•Halesia diptera var. magniflora
•Halesia tetraptera (syn. •Halesia carolina)
•Nyssa sylvatica
•Oxydendrum arboreum
•Franklinia alatamaha
•Stewartia pseudocamellia or any other Stewartia species
•Pterostyrax hispida
•Parrotia persica
•any of the Hamamelis clan

I'd send the hawthorns packing, and start moving up in the world. Make the kids dig the holes...

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Haha.
Yes, Sourwood is a great selection. Beautiful red foliage in the fall. Called Lily of the Valley tree. I've had success with 5 of them. I treasure them.
To add:
They will grow very quickly if they are planted correctly. I planted mine like I plant rhodies and azaleas and keep them mulched with pine needles. They are growing vigourously.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 11:43 AM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Boy, Kilda, you must have the magic touch.
Sourwood is one of the trees I've had the hardest time getting established.
(Franklinia is the other)..
Sorry to say, I've tried many times in every situation you can imagine,
but none have survived!
I'm cautiously optimistic about one remaining, just 3 years old - but so far, so good.
Though I'm not sure the word 'vigorous' comes to mind...

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Wee, what kind of soil did you plant them in? We're fairly close in climate.
I planted mine in a soil mix on top of the ground. I used roughly, 1 part loam, 1 part pine fines and 2 parts sphagnum moss. I don't use pine fines anymore though because it dries the mix out a little too much I think.
I now substitute rotted or composted hardwood bark for the pine fines and I think I'm getting a moister mix in the long run. I think I'm through refining with this mix. My rhodies and azaleas love it and I don't have chlorosis on a single one. All planted on top of the ground for perfect drainage.
Same with the Sourwoods. Pic below of my best one. I planted them in the fall of '07 or '08 and they were very small. I bought them bareroot from a nearby nursery.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit

Thank you for your suggestions! I will get to work on researching these and come up with a good "grouping". I want to plant 1 or 2 this fall.... let them get established... and the "out" the Hawthorns. I'm going to be HAPPY to throw those on the burn pile. :-)

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.