My first quilt....

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

On becoming a mother I was seized with a desire to make my new son a quilt. This was in 1966. I had sewn Western shirts, skirts, blouses, stuff like that. but not a quilt. I saved every scrap of fabric and my grandmother had given me a bit so I had a small stash. Very small. I remember my mom making templates out of cardboard so that's what I did and marked fabric and cut out different sized squares and sewed them together with 5/8 in. seams. And by guess and by golly I made a quilt! Just winging it. We named it 'Paul's Linus Blanket' and Paul loved loved it. You can see just how much he loved it by how worn it is. The yellow border was flannel once upon a time. All the fuzzy has been loved off. Kind like the Velveteen Rabbit. The pretty plaid fabric is a polyester blend, the rest is cotton. You can see how the cotton has worn and the plaid still looks pretty good. I knew nothing about matching corners, quarter in. seams or binding or using all one kind of fabric. I know now all that stuff and can make a pretty decent quilt. But I have never made one that was loved as much as this one. My daughter-in-law takes care of it now and she loves it too. Paul just rolls his eyes.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!