Craigslist for free works, but what about pricey items

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

I struggle with getting rid of things, always thinking I might be able to sell something. I put my little one's crib on Craigslist for free - and it was gone within a few hours to a grandmother whose daughter was actually starting to have contractions that day. She didn't have a lot of money and it felt good to pass along something I no longer needed.

I'm resolving to get rid of something significant at least weekly via Craigslist or if minor, leave on the curb (we have many dumpster diver types in the area).

My biggest struggle is with collectables, many which I spent a fair amount of money - but, have little value in this part of the country (ex. Indian pottery or Nambe ware from New Mexico). Would someone share a few words of wisdom or encouragement about getting rid of what I don't use, even though it wasn't cheap. That's my struggle, if something was cheap or free, I'll pass it along with a smile, but I'm having trouble giving away expensive things that I spent years collecting, but now I consider clutter. :( I thought about ebay, but just don't want to deal with the hassle and fees. Maybe that's the mindset I need to adopt. "If I'm not willing to post it, collect funds, take to post office, then it's really not of that much value".

But then, sometimes it's just easier to put in the basement to deal with another day.

This thread has 40 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!