CLOSED: Zone In...Page 6

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry, but we're closed to new participants and Secret Buddies have been assigned. If you'd like to join us next year, or would just like to chat about Perennials growing in your garden, feel free to chime in.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196103/

We're sharing a minimum of 8 Perennials you're already growing that are ready to divide and you'd like to share with a fellow participant who lives in or close to your Zone. That way none of us needs to buy plants, and we have the assurance if they're growing well in your Zone, they should grow equally well for your Secret Buddy.

It's up to the Sender to choose plants they'd like to share. Due to the horrendous heat many of us are experiencing, our FINAL mail-out date has been extended to NO later than the week of September 12th. ALL packages need to be Priority Mailed with a Delivery Confirmation Number by then.

DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our thread...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, and D-mail me the number so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for participants.

AmandaEsq / Amanda --- > Zone 7b -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, Part Shade and Shade -- > Received from FruitOfTheVine
busy_gardener / Karen -- > Zone 4/5a -- > Full Sun and Part Shade
Chellflower / Chell -- > Zone 8b -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, and Shade. Would welcome Sub-Tropicals and Pond Plants -- > Rec'd from ridesredmule
Crit / Patti -- > Zone 7a -- > Mostly shade with dappled Sun
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- > Zone 6b -- > Mostly Sun -- > Received from joeswife
dispatcher1 / Lou -- > Zone 5b -- > Rec'd from Mittsy
FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > Zone 7a -- > Full Sun -- > Received from jsxtiger
happgarden / Joyce -- > Zone 5a -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, Dense Shade, also has a Water Garden -- > Rec'd from dispatcher1
jsxtiger / Jax -- > Zone 7a
janaestone / Di -- > Zone 6b -- > Mostly Full Sun, Some Shade -- Received from roxxanne
joeswife / Debra -- > Zone 6a -- > Receved from poisondartfrog
minnesippi / Stephanie -- > Zone 4a -- > Sun and Shade -- > Received from warriorswisdonkathy
mittsy / Mittsy -- > Zone 5a -- > Sun and Shade -- > Received from happgarden
poisondartfrog / Alana -- > Zone 6b ~ 7a -- > Full Sun or Part Sun
rednyr / Deanna --> Zone 8a -- > Full Sun, majority of yard is Part Sun -- > Received from Chellflower
ridesredmule / Char -- > Zone 8b -- > Received from rednyr
roxxanne / Rox -- > Zone 6a -- Received from Cville_Gardener
warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > Zone 5 -- > Full Sun -- > Received from busy_gardener

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 7:23 PM

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

FOTV, I think I know the answer to this question, but do the Tiger's need full sun?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here.

Mornin' A.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Rereading my August Garden Gate for the 50th time..rofl. I found this and please do not misunderstand I have lots of lilies and tiger lilies but wanted to show you all this.
Do tiger lilies really affect other lilies? Yes, tiger lilies lilium lancifolium carry a disease called lily virus. But they're so tolerant of it that they show no symptoms. While other lilies rearely die from the virus, it stunts them and makes them more suscepible to other diseases. If you have tiger lilies and want to grow other types of lilies, look for hybrids and cultivars that are lilsted as tolerating the virus. As a rule, oriental lilies are the most susceptible and Orienpets are the most resistant. The disease is transmitted by aphids, so allow at least 100 feet between tigers and other lilies. And when you deadhead or cut tiger lilies, dip your shear in 1:10 solution of bleach and water. Sap on the shears may carry the disease.

Crit, I have some that get east sun, then none during the rest of the day until late and they still bloom. I have some that get sun until about 4pm and they bloom, so I think they are pretty durable.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Mine is in a corner up by the little greenhouse and get no attention except a glance when they are blooming. i don't cut flowers so believe mine may be safe, but that is great information....

Thanks happ and char

happ, I read something similar on B&D Lilies, and was shocked. Never knew yet another plant could become infected without noticing or infect others, which means there's a handful of Hybrids in the "wild child" garden that need to be moved. Big thank you for the heads up.....I think...lol

Durn! Milkshake Coneflower hit the trash today after noticing it had weird looking bright-green tufts on top of the blooms that should have been White, and have been for the past two years. It was planted just across the garden path from the other three recently trashed that were infected with Aster Yellows virus.

Amanda, how does your Milkshake look? Do your blooms have any weirdness going on? The last thing I want to do is give any of you an infected plant.

My Tigers are in Full Sun, Patti, but the gal who gave them to me has lots of trees surrounding the bed where hers are, and honestly haven't noticed any perceptible difference in height or blooms.

DH and DGD's chillin' in the pool

Thumbnail by Crit
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Morning Patti. ;)

Froot - don't have any except the purple variety. Don't think you gave me any or I'd have remembered! I have some "white swan" seedlings ready to go into Max's garden. Do I need to be concerned?! :/

Sure is dry in the back 40 where my coneflowers are. Been trying to water from my cistern (the a/c condensation tube empties into a tub and when it overflows it overflows into another tub. When the 2nd overflows it runs off into a large saucer for under a large plastic pot - this is for the birds.

On really crappy humid days like today I can get 10+ gallons of water if I'm vigilant! Don't know if that means my house is leaky or I have to turn the heat down and humidifier off in Rita's room. :D

Night ladies!
A.

Ah, now I remember I started rooting Milkshake for you, Manda. It's on our back porch, in a pot, far far away from those that were infected and am pretty sure I started the cuttings before the plant bloomed. Might still hand it off to you if you want it and don't mind keeping it to isolated from your others.

Before we built our side deck on the North side of the house, the EE's, Cannas, and Caladiums loved soaking up the water that drained from our heat pump. Never even thought about having to water them. You're a smart cookie being able to conserve water that way. Are you on a well or city water?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

We get water from the city. We got rain today! Filled my 2 rain barrels. Wish I had more rain barrels. There's 100 gallons of water for me to pour out as I see fit. Could have gotten 1000!

Hope some of you also saw some relief this weekend.

Loveya.
A.

Happy Birthday, plantsforpeg! May all your blooms come true :)

So glad you got some good rain, A. We had sprinkles teasing us today. But that was it!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

We have had 10+ inches in the last week....soggy soggy soggy....and I have no flowers left on any of my plants :( Rain barrel over flowing, gutters over flowing (but not enough to wash the trees that are growing in them). Heat FINALLY broke. Beautiful Saturday, Sunday and today. SO much to do in the yard. And I WILL get my buddies package in the mail this week!!!

Had to laugh about the trees in the gutter.... ;)

Feast or famine for a lot of us in the rain department. Thankfully, we had a good 3" soaker this afternoon with beat the band thunder and a killer lightning show. Might be more storms on the way but looks like the worst ones in our area have moved on. Wish I could send you some, Patti!

ME TOO, fruitloop

We got some but I don't think 3'' but I was glad to get it. My Brugs loved it...

Flash flooding hit hard in some of the neighborhoods around us and from pics on the news could have filled up swimming pools many times over. Just hope the burst especially helps our farmers.

Not sure who to thank, you Alana or Debra, for seeds that produced this unusual looking morning Morning Glory that has a hot Pink picotee edge. First bloom this morning...

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Brazilian Morning glory Bloom by my Red Banana plant. It's a jungle here....

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Amanda, The Hollyhock's have germinated already. Thanks again for the seeds!

Did I post this variety already? Hope not.
This is Cocoa Chocolate with Cuphea Vienco Lavender. I like them together a lot.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's great, Alana! I haven't started the salvia yet. Still trying to plant my spring seedlings. :D

That stem on that mg is really hairy. Are they all that way? Looks really cool.

Today is going to be our hotest (still nothing like poor Crit) day so far. 102 with feels like 110...uck. It takes me until 9pm to get everything watered at night. I have to admit it is really getting old, but I am still working at it. About now I wish I didn't have any tropicals or hanging baskets...rofl.

Did you know lightening is good for your plants? It does something to the ozone and actually acts like a fertilizer. I have noticed that it also helps clean the alge from my pond.

K-State is holding their annual Open House at the Trial Gardens this Saturday. I really want to go, but dang it is going to be so darn hot. The other time I went we about had heat stroke and it wasn't as hot as it is now.

Oh, Yes. They almost look like little stickers but they are soft. I got a list for people who want seed, do you want me to add you to it??? Brazilian Hairy Morning Glory

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

one of my new blooms :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

and another :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi
(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

rideredmule..........is me name on thats list? huh? huh?? fer hairy mg's? huh?

I am afraid of them spreading so I think I will pass, but thank you for the offer. I think they are beautiful.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

They won't spread for you happgarden. They won't survive your zone.
I love that pale pink Lily minne, do you have a name for it?
Today was the hottest day for us yet, I think. The long range forecast shows 89 for one day next week. I am counting the days!
Have a good evening,
Alana

Well, today was our 24th day of triple digets. 108* today, don't know what the heat index was. Just know it was HOT. We had 11 days in a row, then Monday was only 97. Was like a blessing, spoiled me, then back to the triples again, and probably for another 2 weeks. UGH!

Really pretty lilies and other flowers too.

I hadn't heard that about lightening happ. How interesting!

Ok Charlies Mom I will take some seeds since they won't spread. You talked me into it, I love that hairy stem...rofl.

Last night was a beautiful night even tho we were in the 90's at 10pm, the wind was blowing and the humidity had to gone done because my glasses didn't fog every time I walked outside... ;)

Ok I have posted this on every forum so far....I would say sorry but I am not, you all gotta see what I have blooming FINALLY! Sorry to everryone that this is a repeat.... ;) It is shocked full of buds. I have been waiting forever.

Thumbnail by happgarden
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, there is a name for it, I just havent found the tag yet :) Workin on it (among lots of other things). I got it from Michigan Bulb if I remember correctly.

Serendipity, Brugmansia, angel's trumpet

Oh I know you are excited about that bloom. I bet it smells wonderful!

Oh, it does. do you like this one????
Agel's Moonlight.

Wowzer that is plum full of buds and blooms.....oh can't wait until my bloom, I have some teeny tiny little okra starting to form on a couple.....Those are just beautiful and I know the smell is amazing. I love it when they bloom in my house during the winter, it is amazing.

That is a step in the right direction, so keep up whatever you are doing....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.