I think I killed the only Iris I had

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

Me, kinda a do it yourselfer..... thought I would divid the only iris I really had.... well what a mistake that was...Did I kill it by the pics or do you think it can be saved and take a few years to grow and bloom again?

Thumbnail by janemarierose
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

another view from my cell phone

Thumbnail by janemarierose
Enid, OK

That is no where near dead! Go ahead and plant it or trade it away, you did fine!!

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

WOW, you think those are tradeable!!!!! I'll have to get it ID first.....

Hmmmm, I'd trade those for a new Iris!! YEAH!

JMR

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

JMR,

You didn't killl the iris. Those are some nice divisions. But, it's the wrong time of year to divide them, because you will have to keep them moist until the rains start in the fall. Best time to divide is about the end of August, early September here, or early spring. .

And get those babies in a bucket of water until you can plant them. Water up to the green part, and change it every two days or so or it will get stinky.

Enid, OK

Wow Polly, you can keep them in water that long? I always just plant (no matter the time of year) and water every couple of days until they start showing signs of growth! I am glad you showed up here, I would have given poor JMR here bad advice.

A word of caution JMR, I don't know much! Polly is a pro...do what she says and you can't go wrong.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

enidcandles, you do know they are Louisiana irises, right? LOL. You advice would have been perfect if they were bearded. From the picture they're LA Black Gamecock.

Enid, OK

Nope, didn't know that! LOL - you can't trust me...I told you I don't know much!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You know way more about bearded than I do. Beardless is my forte. Together we can give good info, I think.

Enid, OK

Well, we will either help or scare them off! LOL

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

I dont think I would ever trade them for the fear I did something wrong and they would not bloom.....lol

jmr

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

No, seriously, those look like very good divisions. I would plant them now, keep them nice and damp for the rest of the year, and then trade them in the fall or spring. They are Louisiana Iris Black Gamecock.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.