Bloodgood red maples photos please....

Harleysville, PA

I would like to get some idea what others Bloodgood Japanese Maples look like and how they put them in their landscaping.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

There are 26 pictures of Bloodgoods in Plantfiles. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55472/

I think you could probably do a search of this forum and come up with several more landscape shots too.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Pictures can be deceiving .. even in Pa a Bloodgood can get 20 ft tall so I would classify it a semi ornimental tree it will need some space .. it is not a garden tree . Don't make the mistake most of us make as beginners of planting a small tree and expecting fast growth it will take 15 years to get that big ... also don't make the mistake of being myopic and not leaving enough room for it ..., as it will eventually get big .. Yes you can trim any upright tree and keep smaller but it will likely look odd . Finally Bloodgoods are old school. There are many much nicer Bloodgood type trees that are available .. such as Emperor 1 , Fireglow, Moonfire, and literally dozens of others that will not be easy to find but are available at better nurserys or on the internet. There is nothing wrong with Bloodgood but there are much nicer red cultivars avail .. Davidsan

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

+1 for Fireglows!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

oops it posted twice see below

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 2:16 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Other better reds not easy to find are Red Baron , Yubae ( very good holds color well a Vertrees tree), Okagami, Suminigashi, Musashino, Shojo nomura (even stays red in shade) , Ruby Ridge, , Hefners Red Select ( Pixie , Shaina ( tough to grow) Skeeters Broom and Adians Compact, Carls Corner,Elizebeth, Ruths Red, Brants dwarf ( all dwarfs) ) ... any many many more ... and that's just the uprights and dwarfs not diissectums... there are allot of good ( better) red Jms out there other than Bloodgood and Crimson Queen... and as far as hardiness i don't see much difference in any of these... Most larger nurseries only carry those two and a smattering of others in the Midwest ... In Oregon there are thousands of acres of both trees being grown for big box stores ... if they don't sell as they have not since the recession they just bulldoze them up and burn them ..., and replant ... big box stores only want a certain size tree. Millions of BGs and CCs are burned each year and replanted.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

red baron is a great colored red that almost glows all year here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a photo of Bloodgood taken in 2007. It's much bigger than this now. The fence is 8 feet so you can get an idea about size. I'd take the advice of wha and Davidsan and fireglows. I've seen a Bloodgood a good 30 feet high here in California. You probably won't see that size though. This tree has a lot of space but it will very well outstretch it's space.I am partial to Suminagashi. It's a wonderful tree.

Thumbnail by doss
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Nurasagi and Twomblies Red Sentinal are both also nice .. Nurasgi is very hard to find for some reason.Twomblys seem to be more collumbar when young spread out as they age ...( being columanr is it's selling characteristic).. The new dwarf Rhode island Red has gotten great reviews .. it allegedly self prunes into a nicely trimmed shape and hold it .. I though have not seen this in my area ... maybe under perfect growing conditions in Oregon . there are also many Linearilobum such as Beni otaki and Keiser and Red Spider the dwarf Beni ubi gohanthese are red bamboo leafed .. I personally love them and they are among the hardiest of all palmatums but unfortunately not popular...Villa Taranto is red spring and fall but it is touchy if you get a small one larger ones do great... there are also dozens of really cool green ones from Scoloprendrifolium to the newly available very promising Kinshi , the wonderful Koto no ito , Ao shime no uchi to fairy hair the smallest leafed Jm that is not for beginners .. Why this type of cultivar is not more popular is a mystery Davidsan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.