My poor old man "Star"

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Poor Star- my 40 yr old horse is such a trooper. 2 days ago he got caught under the gate and ripped off most of the skin on both back legs and lacerated his left hind down to the cannon bone. Luckily he didn't break the bone or damage any tendons or ligaments, so I think he should heal with time. He's such a good boy- Been used for hippotherapy for years(was still giving lessons once or twice a week until he got hurt), and is so calm and gentle. He actually let me stitch him up with just a little ace and some local anesthesia and just stood there without trying to kick or anything (I am a small animal vet, so do a lot of my own equine work- the horse vet wasn't available for a couple hrs, so I'm learning alot about equine medicine!!). It will be lots of bandage changes, antibiotics, and pain meds for the next couple weeks- and of course lots of TLC and all the cookies he can handle!!

Thumbnail by kat7
This thread has 53 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!