NOID Fern

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I thought I'd post this here first before I try the Plant ID forum. I think I got this in a trade and, stupid me, forgot to label. I went back through all my completed trades and couldn't find it.
I hope someone knows what it is. I mainly want to find out if it's hardy or tender so I know whether to go ahead and plant it or overwinter it indoors.
Thanks to all.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Closer up.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Maybe Polystichum acrostichoides?

Resin

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Don't think it is Christmas Fern. The leaf texture is completely different from any Christmas Fern I've ever seen. Much softer.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

OK! Can't see the texture in the photo ;-)

Resin

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I know. The leaves are pointed though.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Possibly Diplazium pycnocarpon.

Doug

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey, postmandug, I think you've got it. And now I remember trading for 'Ostrich Fern'. I am almost positive it is Tennessee Ostrich fern and I'm thrilled to have it. Thanks. :-)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Also commonly named Glade Fern.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

agree with glade fern (Diplazium pycnocarpon) - great pics at http://ontarioferns.com/main/species.php?id=4024

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I asked admin if the name should be changed from Athyrium to Diplazium in the PFs. They changed it to Diplazium. Has a ring to it, doesn't it?
I'm going to go ahead and plant it in the ground in very good soil. Can't wait to see how it does next year. I love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.