Broken Root Balls on Type II's ?

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

While reading Raymond J Evinson's "Making The Most of Clematis" Vol.3 On page 18 he is speaking on planting "Type II's and he warns "Do not disturb the main root ball as this will be fatal" I have read this same general statement elsewhere although I can not recall exactly which articles or books. and have also heard other jobbing gardeners say the same about clematis in general .So, good people I am interested in your experiences with root balls broken on planting and the results. the reason I am so interested is you may recall from earlier posts that I an reestabling old established plants nearer my house and am planting quite a few new. I am having physical limitations that make it difficult to get the root ball to the bottom of an eighteen inch deep hole or trench! I am starting to design a mechanical aid that will hopefully help.....I was so foolish as to not think i'd see this day!! I hope you are all having a great gardening summer! Lee S. McDonald A.K.A. GREENSIDEUP

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've never had a broken root ball. Sorry, Lee.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi again, I have been thinking more about the broken root ball question from my earlier post. Mr. Evinson's book was discussing planting type II clematis, and I never have broken a root ball on one. Due to aging complications I have been moving established clematis to a new site and when I dug a well established General Sikorsky and I saw that it had a few crowns. I separated the crowns. I replanted one at the time and potted up two in their native soil then placed them in a a cold frame. One came though fine and is fine, the other plant has never thrown top growth although the roots seem to be growing and look fine. I intend to give this plant at least another year! I am going to stop worrying but remain curious!! I am having fun in my gardens and hope you are enjoying yours too! Lee

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

When our montana 'Grandiflora' invaded the space of 'Liberation', I was afraid it would devour it as it did to my 'Pink Champagne'. So in November last year my helper, Neri (I miss him so much), dug up the area between the two clematises and we found mounds of roots. The X mark in the photo is where Neri dug down deeply to create a chasm so the montana wouldn't continue growing towards 'Liberation' but the vine tops do continue to grow and have to be clipped back constantly on both sides of the fence. It wants to devour the barbecue now!

Neri planted them for me along a different fence at the back of our property. I felt they wouldn't grow because we were so busy we didn't have time to check for growth from crowns. Lo and behold one grew ('Liberation') and flowered on the back fence and the other "clump" is lush so I expect it will bloom next year. I'll have to compare the leaves to see if the one that didn't flower seems to be another 'Liberation' or if it's the montana.

It's a good thing to remain curious and hopeful, Lee, and to stop worrying. Gardening is always an adventure in faith.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.