Ness' Blue Confetti

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

OK, I have failed with AVs before. Miserably. I've killed at LEAST 30-40 of them. Tried more sun, less sun, wicking, watering when almost dry, pebble trays, etc. They all eventually (usually sooner than later) bit the dust. After a few years, and lots of reading, I'm thinking I might be ready to try again. Only thing I can think of I did wrong was my soil mix might have been too heavy. I don't think I added enough perlite back then. From what I've read, AV soil or peat mixed with equal parts perlite is best. I don't think I added that much perlite before.

I don't want to end up in the same boat this time, so I'd like to start with ONE plant to see if I can succeed this time before going crazy buying AVs. (Which is what I did last time). The only one I seemed to have some success with was Ness' Crinkle Blue. It would bloom so profusely that the entire top of the plant would be covered. I loved it. But after a year or so, it just died on me. I've seen Ness' Blue Confetti on ebay, and was wondering if its a similar plant to the Crinkle Blue. Most importantly, I know I need a plant that will be as easy to grow as possible, to start out with. No variegates, even though I adore them. Any suggestions on easy growers I could start out with? I prefer blue, but will consider any color. I have heard standards are generally easier. Is this true? I'm in a very arid climate (the other day the humidity was only 6%!) I do use pebble trays, but this concerns me. So I also need a variety that is a litttle more tolerant of lower humidity. The reason I'm asking abou Ness' Blue Confetti is because a seller that has it, also has a couple other plants I'd love to try--Stromanthe Sanguinea tri color and Sinningia Amizade. Thanks in advance.
Randi

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Randi,
We all use different mixes and all have success and failure from time to time.In general just use a mix that is light enough to still be a bit crumbly when damp.50 % perlite is not necessary unless you are using a heavy base like Miracle Gro or you are wicking or mat watering.If you top water,maybe start with a simple 1-1-1 mix and adjust it if necessary.Many just use a peat based mix and add some perlite,no vermiculite.

In general,standards are a bit easier than minis.I don't know if Ness's Blue Confetti will grow the same for you as Crinkle Blue.Every plant is different.I would just go ahead and try a few plants and when they are big enough put down a leaf to propagate,just in case.AVS are not as fussy about humidity as most other Gesneriads.

Lynn

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I should mention Stromanthe and Sinningias enjoy some humidity.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Stromanthe might be the greater challenge but if you keep it moist at all times and maybe put it on a pebble tray it should be fine.

Sinningia 'Amizade' is the offspring of two humidity and heat loving parents (S. hirsuta and S. kautskyi). 'Amizade' is much less fussy about humidity than either of its parents. It still might be a good idea to grow it domed or in a goldfish bowl type open glass terrarium. It's of small stature, so growing it domed shouldn't be a problem. Growing it on a wick might also work for you.

Other than that, keep it moist and in bright light but not in direct sun.

I fertilize all my Gesneriads 1/4 strength with every watering and flush the mix with plain water every 4-6 weeks.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I might go ahead and try those plants if I get up the nerve, lol. Thank you all for the info. Just received some episcias in the mail. Its all your fault, Olaf! :) (He sent me a darling little Pink Panther). I got a Country Kitten, Pink Acajou, Jim's Curly, Thad's Cheetah, Heartland's Fleeting Gold (she sent TWO, lol) and a Heartland's Greybeard, which I hadn't ordered. She sent the Chad's Cheetah as a gift, as she said it wasn't big enough to sell, so I got THREE extra plants! Boy, was I surprised and shocked. Its Toni's plants, if anyone is interested. She also sells on ebay. The plants were in perfect condition. Not one broken or wilted leaf! I was amazed. I'll have to post pics of them tomorrow. My dial-up is especially slow tonight. And I'll let everyone know if I decide to buy the others I mentioned.
Randi

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, this morning I see that the Heartland's Greybeard is wilted (not real bad, but certainly noticeable). I have nothing to put it in, to make a dome for extra humidity. I've been misting with warm water three times a day, but I guess that's not enough. Its also on a pebble tray, along with the others. Any suggestions???

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Plastic wrap and skewers or a clear storage bag. Works like a charm. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.