help with ID

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

This little guy was tucked in with a fern i got at a plant swap meeting. It's itty bitty, just two little leaves! Any thoughts on what it may be, and mostly if it is in fact a heuchera. Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Another picture

Columbiana County, OH(Zone 6a)

I think that may be a Lady's Mantel (Alchemilla) seedling. My mother and I have found them coming up everywhere - even in cracks in the driveway!

Athens, PA

Could be a heuchera. Lady's mantel typically has pleated leaves when they are small...Outlaw - you'll know better when it is larger.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Could be ladys mantle... There was a lot at the swap.
I'll keep an eye on it. Seem awful fuzzy, is ladys mantle fuzzy?

Athens, PA

Lady's Mantel is fuzzy

http://home.howstuffworks.com/define-ladys-mantle.htm

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

New growth!!! I think it may be a heuchera!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

So cute and crinkley. I just made that word up.

Athens, PA

Outlaw

I am seeing pleated leaves - not sure it isn't a Lady's Mantle. Your plant does remind me of my Tiarella Wherryi http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/showimage.php?eid=216137

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

What about the size? And the way they unfold. Looks a lot like one i have next to it that's a different color though. Hmmm... I guess I'll wait and see! Lol. I better go research ladys mantle.

Athens, PA

Lady's Mantle has pleated leaves. Tiarella Wherryi does not have pleated leaves - both have fuzzy leaves. You'll know better when the plant is bigger and definitely when it flowers.

Even though I have a number of the tiarellas, heucherellas and heuchs, I have to tell you - I really love Lady's Mantle too...

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Looks like my LM. It grew very slowly the first 2 years.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok. I was at the nursery today and saw a lady's mantle. I believe you are right! I'm pretty sure that's what i Have here.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok. I was at the nursery today and saw a lady's mantle. I believe you are right! I'm pretty sure that's what i Have here. Thanks Carolyn! I think i just because i wanted it to be a heuchera so bad i thought it looked like one. Lol

Athens, PA

Outlaw

Give her plenty of room.....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Carolyn, she's so pretty!

Athens, PA

Thank you.....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful specimen, Carolyn!

Athens, PA

Thank you.

I picked up LM on the last trip my mother and I made to a nursery together. We were waiting for my daughter to finish with some finals at college and Mom and I were waiting for her. The LM is very special to me because of that trip.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Isn't it nice to look at a plant and know the memories behind it? I have it with a few plants and treasure them for more than what they are, just because of the connected memory.

Athens, PA

Arlene - I do too and the plants that are connected to my mother for various reasons, I have shared with my siblings.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

So pretty! i love plants with memories. :)
it's hard NOT to feel right at home in a garden with memories, and even in other gardens besides your own with those plants around. :) now ladys mantle will make me think of plant swaps and carolyn22 :D

So how easy is it to divide? I would love to leave it where it is, but I'm afraid it will outgrow the space. But won't it look great here in front of the mystery bleeding heart?

Athens, PA

Outlaw

It divides very easily - just let it get established first.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Carolyn, i got more ladys mantle today, planted it in my woodland garden. :)

Athens, PA

I do love Lady's Mantle... I divided mine and put some into the front bed I enlarged earlier this past summer....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.