Hail damage.

Nederland, CO

Hi. This is my first time posting in this forum. Need some help. A big hailstorm beat up my garden a couple days ago. The worst hit were my Delphiniums. This was to be the first year they would bloom. Several stems with buds were broken off. Is there any chance of reviving these plants so that they can put up new buds and bloom this year?

Same thing happened with some Daylilies, but I think the answer is no for those.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Maybe this thread will make you feel better:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1110934/?hl=hail

Stake the delphiniums and hope for the best. Any broken branches of daylilies will not come back, sadly.

Good luck.

Nederland, CO

Thank you , Pirl. I'll do that. I never did get around to staking them. They were not very tall and holding their own. I've learned my lesson. I will check out the link you provided.

Try not to feel too bad about. I had to learn the hard way myself.

Nederland, CO

Would extra feeding help? fish emulsion? super-phosphate? Superthrive? anything else?

Nederland, CO

Pirl,
did Noreaster's garden recover? I do know something of what she went through because I've been fighting underground and above ground critters for three years since I moved to my current spot. I've had dozens and dozens of plants disappear overnight. The delphiniums don't get eaten so I thought I was safe with them. I never considered hail because we've never had rain in July, let alone hail. Ah, gardening in the CO mountains, fun fun fun.

I can only guess that a drink of some fertilizer might help since Delphiniums are heavy feeders.

Her garden did eventually recover. She and I both battle the slugs so if you have that problem, too, protect your delphinium with the slug product of your choice. Always read the label regarding pets (or visiting pets) for any product that kills slugs.

Noreaster resorted to making some kind of hardware cages for her hostas that weren't in pots, to protect them from the voles - a problem I don't have. I don't have a cat, just a cute dog, but cats will kill most voles.

Nederland, CO

I do have cages all over my property now. I don't have slugs, but fight off rabbits and chipmunks with Liquid Fence which works really well.

We do have a deer issue but they've been absent for the last six weeks. I hope they don't have GPS to bring them back again.

Nederland, CO

They probably do have GPS. For some reason the deer around me leave my garden alone.

They attacked my neighbor's garden early this morning. Their GPS is working.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

highalt.....Hi fello coloraean, I'm in Kiowa, south and east of
denver at 6800-6900ft. I have friends over on Leehill, and supplied them with most of their perenns, when they allowed me to help build their strawbale home, was so very fun. Anyway to your question, that four letter word I have learned to hate (h--l), I myself got blasted a week ago and garden is nothing but sticks at the moment. Yes cut back any and all damage, not only does it help with aestetics but when plants are stressed the g-hoppers move in. Most plants that bloom once a year,(ie early spring are done til next year), any all season bloomers will regrow new stems and continue to bloom. Ref. Delphs. yes cut back, the sooner the better. I have personally found my Delph will bloom a second time in late summer, tho much shorter, whether h--l damaged or not. Hope that helps. Good Luck, Kathy. Pix is delph ( caged because of those tall four legged ****, I have 6-10 that go through the yard every morning. Sure wish hunting was allowed here, would bag me a few for some fresh venison.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.