Growing Caudiciforms in Garden for the Summer

Yardley, PA

Does anyone else put their plants in the garden for the summer? I have put a number of mine straight into the garden. I have done this before and I will get astonishing growth on some of them.
They really seem to love it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I haven't tried this, but I've seen from various examples around here that Adeniums which are not in pots tend to grow differently, more like bushes or little trees and less like the fat plants we know and love. It's hard to sort all that out because of the many different kinds of Adenium out there. But in just about every case I've tried, plants are happier in the ground than in a pot, so it seems like a smart idea for you to give them a seasonal stay.

Yardley, PA

I guess because I only grow them in the ground for 4 months, the adeniums still get fat trunks as do the other caudiciforms. They do end up getting tons more foliage.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

All good. It sounds like there's no problem with going from semi-hydro to the landscape, which is a little surprising to me given how different the conditions are. But if your plants are going gangbusters anyway (which they seem to be), they must be sprouting new roots under there and digging the new scene.

Part of the difference in appearance with Adeniums must be due to the fact that people tend to lift plants in pots when they are repotting them, bringing the fat part more up above ground. And of course that doesn't happen to one that's parked in the ground or a large pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.