Still Laughing For Joy #7

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

OK There's a good chance I started a new thread.
Welcome everyone. Come join this group of people,Who never say quit.And firmly believe laughter is great medicine. At least it's better than crying tho we all do that sometimes too.
Anyway come talk to us.Any age,any affliction. Got a funny experience or story? Tell us. Want to cry? We'll listen.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

You did it just fine, Miss Vickie. :-)

mulege, Mexico

Here's my story that may be funny a year from now. Yesterday the electricity went off around 10am. Thinking it was one of our normal summer blackouts I did nothing. Realized at about 6 pm that I'd neglected to pay the electric bill. They don't give a warning here - if it's not paid by the due date - sap. Last night was one of the hottest we've had this year and I didn't even have a fan. Hardly slept, sweated a lot. Because the electricity got turned off the bill has to be paid in Santa Rosalia 35 miles north of here. Tony is going to pay it. He said they took five days to restore the electricity of one of his neighbors so he will tell them I am very old and sick and I I really need it back on.. Meanwhile, the electricity of Neighbor Dana is still on so Tony thought to run a series of extension cords so I have my puter and a fan.

Since I spent most of the long, hot, sleepless night thinking I'm too stupid to live, all I need now are some "poo baby"s.

Have I mentioned what a help Tony is?

hugs, katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Poor baby, Tony will take care of it for you. :-) (pat, pat on back, there, there)

mulege, Mexico

Thank you. I needed that. kb.

Midland City, AL

I wish I had the excuse of old age. I goofed us up with the water bill a few months ago. I thought I would be nice and picked up the mail at the end of the road so Papa Jim wouldn't have to walk out in the heat to get it. I even dropped it into one of my shopping bag so I didn't lose the index size card. I somehow forgot to put it on PJ's desk. Now, he insist I only get my own mail out of the box.
I recently read an article in a writer's magazine. A successful novelist (Can't remember who at the moment.) told the story of how he was dropping some mail off in an outdoor box on the way to his car. He dropped his keys in the box and didn't realize what he had done until he moved to insert the letter in the key hole. He said it wouldn't have been so bad going to the post office to get his keys back except he had done the same thing a few weeks before and the same person was working behind the desk at the post office.
Maybe, I could claim being a space cadet is a trait of highly creative people? A truly blond and very competent friend threatens to do me bodily harm if I say I'm having a blond moment ever again.
Stay cool and don't beat yourself up, Kb. S...Stuff happens. :-)
If PJ thinks the CanDo Garden is pinked out now, wait until he sees it next May. The pink rose you sent Amargia, Debra, is about 8' tall. It loves its spot. We've started a cutting for you. ~Nadine~

mulege, Mexico

Tony told them I was old and infirm and they turned the electricity back on within the hour.

He called later to be sure all was OK and I told him (again) to come in late tomorrow and pick up orange juice on his way out here.

I'm trying to stay awake until early evening so I don't wake up in the middle of the might. Also must get the dogs fed before I crash.

Tony and I have both worked on encouraging the other not to sweat mistakes. Over the years we've bult up a good ability not to waste time on recriminations.

The air conditioner is on in my bedroom and it's not going to take me long to get to sleep once I lie down.

hugs, katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you, Nadine. That will be fun. :-)

Yea, Tony!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wait, Katie, the same neighbor with whom you were feuding last year? Yikes. When one is desperate, one is desperate.

mulege, Mexico

They are in Washington for the summer. And we weren't feuding - they are too insesative to feud with. kb

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

lol!!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Glad you got your tricity back on ASAP.Afraid I'd have to go stay in the creek without tricity.
Glad your neighbors are out of country and you can get some peace and quiet.I see i'm not alone getting my days and nights turned around.
I can't seem to do anything but sleep the last couple of days.
I can play the lil ole lady to the hilt.Tho doctors seem to think that, when i'm serious.
Thats ok, My dogs think I'm smart. My cats don't think any human has one brain cell.
I am getting nowhere sorting things to do away with.It'd be good if i just bagged everything as i find it but i put things in piles of this stays and this goes. When I,m thru I look at it and decide i can't really do with out it. I have got another box ready to go out the door tho.
Nadene, I do feel for you. Have done the same thing with DD,s mail. Now i leave it in the car and they check my car. It's a mile to our mail box.
I had a tomato sandwich last night from my own potted tomatoes.Gonna have to have more pots and more plants next year.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Vickie, it may well have been Sasquatch. He IS a mischievous sort of soul, I think. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/library/view/article/330/

An article about scented gardens!

Midland City, AL

Squatch can be BAD! He got me into trouble yesterday. He checked out a library book using PJ’s card and forgot to return the book to the library PJ thinks it was me because one of the books was Phoenix. I know it was Squatch wanting to catch up on the doings of his mythical kin, but I didn’t rat on him to Papa Jim. Squatch checked the books out in MARCH so the fine was outrageous! I told the librarian about Squatch and how he was a slow reader. She cut me some slack by letting me work the fine off. (Although, she asked me to tell you that you should get Squatch his own library card, Vort, and teach him social responsibility. She was impressed that he had taken such good care of the book and thinks he’s ready for his own card. Vickie must be a good influence.) So, I’m “Story Lady” during children’s hour at the library once a week until I work the fine off. Vort, you can tell Squatch he can pay me back in Choc. Basil.
I harvested lots of cukes from my own planter box today. I will never plant ‘Straight Eight’ in a planter again though. The vines grew up and over the hog wire fence attached to the back of the planter for them. Down the back to the ground and then, below ground level into the still roofless Stormroom. They are taking over the walls there by using the metal mesh meant to reinforce the concrete of the walls. MK says to let the cukes be. The vines aren’t damaging anything. (I’ll just have to remove the dead vines at the end of the season.) It is too hot for concrete work anyway. (The rule in concrete work seems to be the faster it cures the weaker the finished product is and, of course, we want the walls of the Stormroom to be as strong as possible.) PJ likes the arrangement. He can stand on the floor of the Stormroom and harvest the fruit without bending or stretching. Lol. I guess it is the Cucumber Room for the remainder of cukes season. ~Nadine~

(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, sounds like a lovely arrangement to me. Serendipity. Did you know that the concrete deep inside the Hoover Dam is still curing? I didn't until I saw a Modern Marvels show. :-)
(I like cukes. :-)

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

San--you know Squatch didn't do that. He's been totally tied up in Washington defending himself from the accusations that he is solely responsible for 3 wars, the national debt and rheumatism.

Midland City, AL

Then, Squatch must have an evil twin. ~N~

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Now you know.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Vort, Who said Squatch was responsible for all that political stuff? "rheumatism????" Now there I'll come to Squatchs defence.He is totally apolitical and is innocent of any trashy stuff.Herumph!!! Herd Squatch to the Tarzan books.

I love cukes too.

Midland City, AL

We were given a washer drum to turn into a planter that wasn’t uniformly rounded. There were two large indentations that were evidently part of the design of the washer. Kay was planning to fill the indentations with crete to give the planter a uniform look. But, she has such a backlog of concrete work to do, she asked Nadine to go ahead and paint it as is in a neutral color. That way it wouldn’t be uselessly taking up space. We could start using it in the utilitarian veggie garden until Kay has a chance to work on it.
I don’t think Nadine is capable of doing a straightforward paint job without putting some kind of artsy touch on it. This is how she painted the indentations. ROFL. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
mulege, Mexico

That's funny. Do you have a couple of hands (or paws) that you can hang over the sides? kb

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the link, Carrie. In addition to the article, they have two roses I’ve been looking for and some unique agastache. Also, a few fragrant plants I wasn’t even aware of.
I’m not going for all sweet and perfumey in the VI Garden. I can't imagine trying to keep a scent-based garden going if you limit yourself that much. Besides, in my opinion, you need sharp, resinous, culinary and even some bitter, acrid and sour scents to make things interesting. With the exception of those plants designed to attract beetles that have a smell like rotting flesh and those that smell sort of skunky. I’ll give anything aromatic a chance.
Sharp culinary scents dominate the garden at the moment. The scent-scape is being carried by rosemary, fennel, different basils and culinary sage Backed up by the slightly acrid scents of marigolds, maypops (Passiflora incarnata) and wild sage.
A like or dislike for a certain scent is so individual. My mother loved the acrid scent of marigolds. I enjoy the odd scent of Vitex negundo. It doesn’t have a common name I’m aware of, but Nadi has christened it the lemonpepper tree. Jim likes large waxleaf privet. I personally think it has a rodent-y smell under the sweetness, but Jim adored his pet ferret so he would have a pleasant association with that smell. It is said the emotional quality of a life experience links to any scents present and those links are hard to break. That, more than chemistry determines whether or not you like a scent. If a woman you detested wore a white ginger based perfume, it is unlikely you will ever enjoy the fragrance of white ginger. Although, you might not consciously understand why you dislike it. Your sense of smell is connected directly to the emotional, instinctive part of your brain, unlike any other of your senses there is an involuntary knee jerk response to scent. That’s interesting to me. This ability to bypass the higher critical brain functions is probably behind the success of aromatherapy.
Squatch is responsible for rheumatism? I’ve got a few choice words for him.
I like that show, Debra. Am I officially a geek now? lol. It might be contagious. Nadine just read a book that mentioned fractiles. Now, she is exploring the strange world of fractile geometry.
I think I have an inner ear infection. I never knew you could get dizzy while laying down. Believe me, you can. k*

Midland City, AL

Kb, I'll check out the Halloween decorations and see what I find. :-) A cut tire retaining wall was built across the driveway that led to my Bee Corner and Kay's Kitchen Garden. The driveway was an erosion problem. We plan to plant the new wall with something tall. It will then be blocked off visually from the rest of the property. What this all means to me is I can cut loose and have fun with the Bee Corner. I see no reason utilitarian has to be boring.
I just finished reading "Altar of Eden" by James Rollins. I wouldn't recommend it to Squatch. The giant saber-tooth jaguar would probably give him nightmares. I'm still trying to get the connection the doctor in the book made between genetic structure and fractiles. Hopefully, it will sink in eventually. ~Nadine~

(Debra) Garland, TX

My friend, Shelley, took this on the way to work today. Its in northern New Jersey

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Nadene, The doctor made have been referencing the repeating pattern in both genetics and fractals, You get the same repeating pattern in genetics and fractals.My favorite pattern in fractals is the edge of lakes. Microscopically you get the same pattern between a grain of sand and the edge of water and the whole lake and the edge of water.or a rock and edge of water.And you can build a mathmatical formula on it. The same with a genetic spiral and the building of a cell wall ,a spleen, or a whole human. We are basically a tube from mouth to anus with odds and ends of surrounding tissues.basically so is a cell. I probably did,nt "splain" that well.

mulege, Mexico

It paints a lovely picture. kb

Midland City, AL

Wow, sunflowers are gorgeous in mass.
I guess we could find Nadine her very own version of Ratty. He is Kay's favorite Halloween decoration. She refuses to allow Nadine to dismember him. :-).
That makes sense, Vickie. Endlessly repeating patterns. Larger and smaller. You see the same ones under a microscope and in the way galaxies arrange themselves.
Debra, here's one to bring your interest in space exploration and gardening together. They discovered roof moss grown in zero G forms precise patterns instead of the random way it grows in gravity. Seeds exposed to outer space grow ginormous fruit and vegetables when returned to Earth. China is even experimenting with that to feed their masses. I can just imagine the first outer space daylilies finding their way to your garden. lol. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
(Debra) Garland, TX

By all means, Ratty should stay intact.

Zero G makes cool stuff, don't it? I'd love to see a space-grown daylily. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK folks, I dutifully went and took a lot of pictures today. The battery was wearing out or maybe it was the sun but I couldn't see ANYTHING so I pointed and shot with no idea if I was even pointing in the right direction.

A balloon flower.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think,,,,

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yup, above is coreopsis 'moonbeam' - anybody want some?

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 5:38 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

sweet potato vine alone - very dull.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Achilllea something or other from high country gardens.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Maybe,,,,,

A sort of ok container. The problem with those plugs, Debra, is I don't have space to grow them out inside and they don't have time to grow out inside.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe this is mother-of-thousands flowering, but it might just be the handle of the wheelbaarrow!

Oh, no, that's hydrangea Quickfire which we moved this spring (wrong time of year) and which is so much happier in the sunnier spot! We thought we woild be giving up blooms this year, but not hardly!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 5:50 PM

mulege, Mexico

Oh, Carrie, thanks for making me laugh. katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Then I believe THIS phallic looking item is the blooming succulent.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yay, I got it right, and apparently I treated it right. I've never seen one bloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.