Mexican Sunflower 'Torch' help...no blooms!

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I planted several seeds of this variety and gave up on them, but one plant finally emerged. It has been growing for 3 months and is now 7 feet tall, but I don't see any indication of blooms. The plant gets 7-8 hours of sun per day and appears healthy, but still no blooms. I haven't provided any fertilizer or amended the soil in any way, I am just wondering what to do to make this giant bloom. I live about 1/4 mile from the bay on the coast of Texas. We are in the middle of a severe drought, but I provide some supplemental water via soaker hose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Russell

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

That's very odd, I usually get flowers before it gets to be 7' tall, although it does take a while. And I don't fertilize mine, just plant it in nice, amended soil. Are you sure it's a Mexican sunflower? Are the leaves a little velvety?

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

The leaves have 3 lobes, they feel sort of velvety, but sticky or hairy at the same time. I am not 100% sure, but I planted some seeds in that area. It took a long time to sprout, but has grown quickly. I bought the seeds in the Spring from a DG vendor. These are taken with flash tonight. I will take a pic of the whole plant tomorrow.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is the complete plant.

Thumbnail by yakmon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.