Moving St. Joseph lilies?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

When is the best time to lift and transplant some of these? There are several large colonies started by a now-deceased gardener on our church property, and I've got permission to dig a few of "Ms. Wilma's" bulbs for my garden. I let them finish blooming (back in June), so now I'm tap, tap, tapping impatiently.

I made a mistake in timing the move of surprise lilies several years ago, and they did what people said they would do: they sulked and balked for years to punish me, before finally putting out blooms. I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

Help?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Did you never get an answer to this question, Terry? I'm sorry--and I sure hope you went ahead and dug those bulbs and moved them! I'm not positive, but I think what you're calling St. Joseph's lily is grown around here, too--and we also call it the "common" amaryllis. Does that sound right? They don't object to being moved like those surprise lillies do--mostly they're just grateful if you give 'em water and dirt!

Sue

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sue, I had forgotten all about my question! Yes, this is what I'm referring to: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56501/ and no I didn't move them - yet. If they are forgiving, I'll move them as soon as I see them this spring :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.