jap. tree peonies......will they bloom in zone 9 florida?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

and has anyone heard about a process whereby people in hot climates can remove the leaves in november to force dormancy in peonies?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I dont know about tree peonies in Florida but the process of removing the leaves in Nov to force dormancy does not make any sense to me since normally the foliage dies down and would be removed in the fall anyway.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thank you fancyvan. what i have since found out is that this article was talking about zone 10 and below where there were no freezes. i think they meant it as a possible way to make them bloom the following year.

now that i think about it you are right. it doesn't make sense. even for zone 10. because the lowest zone i have ever seen listed for peonies to even possibly bloom is 9.

do you grow lupines? i love lupines. and the prettiest ones i ever saw was in a canadian garden. she had every color. brilliant beautiful colors. . i can't say enough about lupines. lol.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I occasionally grow Lupines - they tend to attract aphids here and after a few years I get tired of that and pull them all. This year I put some in an empty corner - probably the same thing will happen!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

always something. thanks for helping me.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

hi mamajack, long time no see LOL. I tried lupines when I lived in DFW and found they didn't do well for me. Most lupines do not like intense sun and high heat. Interesting since the state flower, the Bluebonnet, is technically a lupine.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

you have moved!!!! i heard something about you moving but thought i heard utah or some place out west. well i guess now you can grow every thing you never could down here. your yard ought to be a site to see in a few years if not already. did you take everything with you?

and on the lupines...........yeah, why is that? bluebonnets are the bomb but sure would like to see those tall reds and yellows up close and in person.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

It was gonna be Utah but that got changed and the direction from above then became Indy. I am liking it here so far and glad I made the move, close to where I am originally from anyway. I don't move into my new house for another couple days but fortunately the house in TX sold quickly. No, unfortunately I didn't bring any plant along so have to start all over, but that will be fun at the same time. Hope all is well with you? Wondered why you were asking about Florida?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i didn't move for sure although it has crossed my mind to do so....AGAIN after this summer. it prob. ends tomorrow. there are even 60 degree days just hours away. i've got the down and flannel out all ready to go.

my florida buddy wanted to know is why i asked. she's shy. lol.

i am going to dmail you stevey my man. i need info on species tulips. either you or vossner i thought might know something about these. and look who walks in the door.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.