Want: Plants, pots, decor, etc.

Elkin, NC

I am a newbie at this whole gardening thing. I just started a couple of months ago and I am looking for any plants you may want to give away. My wife of 20 years has never asked me for anything...seriously...until this year. She is very low-maintenance. (: When I started a simple gardening project she commented that she would love to have a "garden oasis". Well, that was a couple of months, and several dollars, ago. So, I have turned to less expensive ideas to hopefully fulfill her one request of 20 years. Don't get me wrong, I have now found a new hobby that I love. I just can't afford to keep going like I was.

My main concern for her is that she have a peaceful haven where she can relax on her days and evening off from work. She was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few years ago and it has been in remission until this year. It's been an up-and-down year. I simply want to give her a place to relax and enjoy peaceful flowers, birds (I've installed several feeders), and all of God's creation. I am dreaming big so any pots, plants, decor, etc., would be great. I am in NC in zone 7a.

Thanks for your consideration.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 1:51 PM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 5:48 PM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 5:48 PM

Omega, GA

would you be willing to pay postage? What plant zone are you? Is this oasis in shade or sun? dry or wet or average?

Elkin, NC

Thanks for the reply. I'm in NC in zone 7a.

I could probably pay postage if it isn't too much. We (I) really went over budget on this venture though so it just depends. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being cheap or complaining. But, when she finally asked something of me after 20 years I got a little excited and went overboard.

I have the whole spectrum of full sun to full shade in the yard. Hopefully, the whole yard will have all sorts of flowers from It's funny that our little yard has so much variety. The front yard is mostly shade except right in front of the house. It's full sun. The east gets sun until around 1-2. The west gets sun from 2-3 until around 6. The backyard is full sun in the middle form about 10-6. I hope to plant an herb and vegetable garden there next year. On the sides of the backyard it's full shade all day.

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks again!

Elkin, NC

I have purchased so many plants in the last few months and I have only seen a couple die. My 3 Gaillardias all died out except one. Fortunately, it is doing well now that I took the advice of some people here at DG. I also had a rhododendron die.

I have created several beds (6) around the house that I have prepared and are doing really well with Hosta, Roses, Barberry, Black-eyed Susan's, Beauty bush, Euonymus, African Daisy, Butterfly bushes, Althea, Gaillardia, English Daisy, Royal Candles, Palace Purple, English Ivy, Hahn's Ivy, Monkey grass, Goldenrod, Geraniums, King Edward Yarrow, Dianthus, Carnations, Various types of hydrangeas, crape myrtles, and 5-6 others I can't think of the name of right now.

I can't believe how they've grown. I didn't kill them? It's a miracle!!! Actually, I think it was God helping me give something very nice to my wife.

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you learned to grow anything from seed? Have you thought about butterfly gardens? They are awesome. Passionflowers, gallardia (you mentioned) asclepias, fennel,
butterfly bush-all great plants for butterflies-and all except butterfly bush can be grown from seed. It's cheaper, and results outstanding if you have a green thumb. BTW, you can grow butterfly bush from seeds
it's just easier to do from cuttings.
So what is already in your garden-and how is it growing? Have you drawn up any rough drafts so you know how it will be laid out?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Edforlife, You are a very sweet and caring Hubby! How wonderful of you to create a garden retreat for your darling wife. I would be more than happy to send you some lily corms and liriope starts. I will D-mail you for address. Eufaula

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Ed...you are so sweet to do this. ((HUGS)) I too am strapped $$wise, but I'm sure I can come up with some seeds to send. If they grow then wonderful...if not at least you tried. Send me a D-mail with your addy and I'll see what I can come up with.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ed, do you have room for a redbud tree? I have several that need a new home. they are small about 2 feet tall but will grow fast and they look great in a mixed garden.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

hi Ed. I can send a large priority flat rate box filled to the brim with an assortment of sun and shade perennials for $20 postage. I also offer a medium priority flat rate box for $15 postage. Would you be interested in that?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

You have mail!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Im sorry, I didnt receive an email from you. Its too late in the season for me now...happy holidays to you.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Ed, how's things going?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.