longest blooming mid summer perennial?

Pittsburgh, PA

Full sun, zone 6, 12-24 inches tall.
would like yellow or white.
deer-resistant

showy display, long, long bloom

Your suggestions, please

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Achillea ptarmica- Angel's Breath. I have it in my garden. It's carefree, dear resistant, and makes beautiful dried flowers. At this moment mine is 3 feet tall, 3 feet wide with hundreds of flowers and they won't stop until winter is well upon us (at least here in California, where the winters are mild).

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm zone 7, but I think these would work. Coreopsis Early Sunrise has done really well for me. You do have to deadhead. It's a golden yellow. For a softer yellow try Creme Brulee or Moonbeam. Coneflower White Swan blooms well for me also. Stella D'Oro daylilly bloom well, but I don't know if it's deer resistent. There's a white autumn sage, but I don't know what the cultivar is and it would get a bit taller. Hope that helps.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

White Swan Echinacea and Coreopsis Jethro Tull

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi janets412 - Bluestone Perennials has a great "Plant Finder" that will give you lots of ideas. It's easy and fun to use. Just mark the features that interest you. You can change it over-and-over again to get different ideas. Even changing the height or color, for example, will bring up all new perennials.

Here is their link . . .ENJOY!
(P.S. There is no obligation to buy anything. It's just a way for Bluestone to show you many of the plants they have that will suit your needs)

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/adv_search_mod.html

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi, Have a few suggestions for you: Anthemis tinctoria (white, gold or yellow, 18-24", all season, reseeds at feet); Catanche cerullea Alba ( cupids dart, 18-24", all season, reseeds at feet); Delphinium (butterfly mix, 18", available in white, all season, reseeds at feet); Salvia (18-24", Alba, all summer, reseeds at feet); Centaurea montana "Amethyst In Snow",( 18-24", white, pix below, all season, reseeds at feet); Veronica spicata, (alba, 18-24", all season); Scabiosa (several varieties, alba, most bloom all season and reseed at feet); Echinacea paradoxa,( yellow tennasee (sp) native (should not be premium as is older variety, true from seed, 18-24", all summer; Osteospurmum, Shadow Mountain,( alba, lavender reverse, 18", all season); Santolina virens (18', yellow, all suummer, this variety is a deep bright green and yellow button type flowers); Alchemilla mollis,( 18", green flowers, all summer); Scabiosa ochroleuca ( 24", pale yellow, all season); Campanula ( glomerata, 18",Alba, all season). Hope that helps give you a few more ideas

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Salvia nemerosa, 20-24". Good Luck, Kathy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's a glorious photo, Kathy!

Edited due to cross posting - I meant Amethyst in Snow. I can vision it at the feet of clematis Jackmanii.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 9:54 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree w/ Pirl, that Centaura is not just a beautiful flower, but your photo is wonderful.
And I've never had a salvia nemerosa get that big; it's a behemouth! Looks great.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, that Salvia nemerosa is amazing!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

would you believe that white salvia is sitting in a 1 gallon pot sunk into the ground waiting to be planted,lol., is approx. 24'^x24-30>. Centaurea is flanked by Dianthus deltoides Zing (red), Salvia nemerosa blue, and lavender munstead. Sorry no pix as hail defoliated almost 2 wks ago. Pix is Centaurea phygria at 36", blooms all summer, I also have this variety in purple, both grown from seed out of England and not commercially available. ( I believe centaurea is in ffront of gypsophilla paniculata)

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

echinacea milkshake blooms all summer for me.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lorraine Sunshine - starts with early Asiatic lilies (very early June), continues through now, well into September, sometimes till frost.. It can self-seed with offspring retaining parent's habit, color, and bloom. Can form nice colony. It's a Heliopsis - varigated sunflower that reaches about a yard in height; hardy Z 4 - 9.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

jmorth, that looks like a beautiful plant! Adding it to my want list =)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55618/ for anyone else interested

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi -- my 2 favorite yellows that meet your guidelines are --

Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan) -- here with coneflowers, daylilies, and Big Bluestem grass.

Thumbnail by dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

And fern leaf Coreopsis -- Creme Brulee -- here with Knock-out Rose, Razzamatazz.

These are also drought resistant, bloom for a month or more -- much more if you dead head, which I don't.

Hope these help.

Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I need deer resistant perennials for zone 5. I just yanked out all my daylilies. Tired of not getting any blooms on them. Have planted Russian Sage and Bee Balm and Catmint but would like more ideas. They don't seem to eat Monkshood either. It's poisonous so they seem to sense that.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a Coreopsis rosea (Heaven's gate) that I planted last year and it has been blooming for at least two months now. The Perovskia atriplicifolia behind it has been blooming for about as long too.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

oops - just realized that you wanted yellow or white. but if you want to consider other others, I still recommend the above two plants.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Loon...... Salvias, veronicas, centaureas, coreopsis, monarda, daisies, mums, scabiosa, jj's, verbascums, santolina, caliroe, geranium (perenn.), ajuga, gypsophila--repens, paniculata, old hamiana, geum, rhubarb, valariana, dianthus, clematis, cosmos, datura, ratibida, campanula, lythrum, rudbekias, spiareas, lathrus (sweet peas), penstemons, yarrows, . These are some of the plants that my deer in z5 don't bother, and i have a heard (9), bucks that pass through my yard almost daily. Kathy

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kathy for sharing those. My deer did eat all my white daisys but they won't bother my lavender or my ground cover calle snow in summer. I'll have to try some of the others on your list because I am so done with them eating my blooms before they open. THey just ate the tops off all my phlox. grrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Brenda

(Zone 4b)

jmorth, I love Lorraine Sunshine as well BUT w/o fail it gets over run with aphids sometime in August...yuck.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Happened here in Sept. They didn't seem to bother other plants near by.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lemon Ball gaillardia bloomed all summer for me and is still blooming away on Nov 12 after a couple frosts.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
(Zone 4b)

Do you expect "Lemon Ball" to be a true perennial for you ie survive this coming winter? (Or now that I think of it maybe this will be its *2nd* winter for you?)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Most gaillardia survive about 2-3 years for me, but this will be the first winter with Lemon Ball, so I'll have to see.

(Zone 4b)

Please report back next spring....just in time for us to make our perennial/annual selections for 2012!

(Zone 4b)

I would like to comment on one perennial that is more than holding its own now into mid November. It is my first Yarrow. I think the particular variety is 'Strawberry Seduction'. It did give those beautiful red flowers with that distinctive texture during the summer but the plant also needed support at that time.

Too long after it had finished flowering I finally decided to trim it back...quite severely. I should have done this much sooner as it rebloomed just as well and grew to a self-supporting height. This second flush has lasted all of October and to a lesser extent into November. It has had little difficulty dealing with several frosts in this time. I highly recommend this plant for the prolonged bloom period.

Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.