Toads

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Although I generally do not consider them pests, I'm having problems with toads getting into potted plants around the garden, digging in them and making a little home. I have one toad living in a topiary pot on my patio. I flush him out every time I water thoroughly.

I have another two toads living in a small container in my garden. They've dug around the roots. The plant still seems to be thriving, but I fear not for long.

Why do they choose my potted plants over their toad house, and what can I do to discourage them to use the pots. I'd still like to keep them around.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Can you put some kind of wire or mesh over the soil in the pots? That should discourage them-

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

If not wire mesh, how about beach pebbles?

Hoboken, NJ

Try using some galvanized wire cloth:

http://www.bwire.com/

That place should be able to supply you with the size you need, and make sure to use something fine enough so that they cannot go right through it like it is not there.

Definitely do something, because like you said previously, if these toads keep digging around the roots, you are in for trouble!

Berne, IN

Why don't you supply the with a "home", it will keep them away from the other areas where you water. Find an old container, lay down a short piece of wood (or other item to keep on side of the pot 2" off the ground), then turn the container upside down. Water the ground around it every couple of days. Presto, you have a home for your toad.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I bought a toad house for them with they first appeared, and they used it until it got way too hot.

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

If the toads moved out when their house got hot, you have to create the same conditions at their house as your plants. Toad houses must be in a shady area on dirt and need to be moistened daily. Ceramic in the sun can be brutal, I know they are pretty on display but put some where the toads live. I am in SE Tn and I have at least 5 toads that I see every night, they live under our front and back porches and get watered when we do our flowers. Happy Toading

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.