Ipomoea alba not producing flowers

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone! I have a question about some stingey vines! I have several moonflower vines that I started from commercial seed and planted out in late April. They have hit the top porch roof (about 14ft) and are now climbing back down and sideways taking over the house. They have beautiful 6" leaves and keep producing new off shoots but NO flowers! Any advice on how to tend this giant? This is my first experience with them and I'm stumped. Thank you!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How much sun are they getting and how much are you fertilizing them? If they're not getting enough sun that can limit blooming, and if they're getting a bit too much nitrogen fertilizer that can result in lots of lush green growth at the expense of flowers. If they're getting plenty of sun and you haven't been fertilizing a lot then you probably just need to be patient for a little longer.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Could be lack of sun they only get around 6 hours a day. What a bummer but I still have beautiful vines :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

6 hrs and more is generally considered full sun, so as long as it's 6 hrs of direct sun (not filtered/dappled sunlight through a tree) that should be OK. Maybe you just need to give them a little more time.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am thrilled to report that I simply needed more patience :) We had a massive thunderstorm last night and this morning when I checked on the vines I found lots of tightly wound spiral buds. Thank you so much for your guidance ecrane3! This is my first year growing anything and I dove right in with everything at once. That's what happens when you transplant a city kid to the country they go garden crazy lol!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad to hear they're getting ready to bloom for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.