What is chewing off my wisteria vines ?

Columbus, OH

I have American Wisteria that is just 2 years old, and this year it has started to grow over the top of my arbor. Two weeks ago, I suddenly started finding vines falling down from overhead because the stems (way up on top) have been cut (or chewed) off ! The vines that are falling down are up to 3/16 inch in diameter. I have lost about half of the growth. It is a very clean, straight cut through the wood. It looks like someone took the garden clippers and just cut through the vine, but of course that can't be happening. Would squirrels be doing this, or is there an insect or caterpillar that would do it? I have not seen any type of pest on the arbor or the vines.

Thumbnail by gch2202
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

The first thing I thought of was cicadas. But that doesn't look like cicada damage. I have the same problem on a lot of my trees. Especially my pecan tree. Whatever it is will make a smooth cut about halfway through the stem. We may be talking about 3 different pests here. Yours doesn't look like the smooth cut but I have the same damage as yours. I am very curious what it is.
I hope someone knows.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.