SoCal (Donna Brickman)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Donna Brickman, known to everyone at DG as SoCal passed away, July 12. She joined us on December 6, 2000. She was one of the first 200 members and watched this little website grow from just a trading page and one discussion forum; to the huge, global community we have today. Donna loved gardening and sharing what she grew. Many of us have plants in our gardens that were the result of her generosity. Her smile was infectious and those that knew her couldn't help loving her.

In 2003, we were a small group of strangers who got to know each other through our love of gardening. Donna convinced her husband get on a plane with her and come to Kentucky for the Roundup on Lake Barkley, where all of these 'internet people' were gathering. She wanted to meet some of the people who she had been getting to know through DG. We all had a wonderful time and after that, Donna opened her home on many occasions to host get-togethers, plantswaps and lunches in California.

We all enjoyed seeing pictures of her gardens and for those of us who live in rural areas, it was amazing how she could pack that much plant material into a small city lot.
And now, she's a member of this ever-growing Memory Garden. Good friends have gone before her and it is part of the circle of life that good friends will follow her too. Those of us who were fortunate to know her well, smile when we see her plants growing in our gardens, and many of us will also plant something in her memory this week as well.

Quoting:
It is like the seed put in the soil - the more one sows, the greater the harvest....Orison Swett Marden

Donna's harvest was gardens of friends from around the world and we'll all miss her terribly.

A special nod of thanks to our dear, departed friend Floridian, for the lovely picture of Donna, taken at the Kentucky roundup in 2003

Thumbnail by melody
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear that, my condolences to her family.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry for her family's loss, and for the loss to this DG family. We will miss you, Donna!!!!

Crossville, TN

Melody, that was a beautiful tribute to this special lady...just think...she is now in the Heavenly Garden with Floridian and Diane...what a threesome they will make!!

I hope someday that I will be blessed with their company again!! I have lots of seeds she gave me when I visited her last. I talked to her by phone about 3 weeks ago...her dear sister was with her and she was in such high spirits. I will miss you dear heart!! Jo

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

RIP SoCal... you are missed dearly.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

What a beautiful picture of Donna, sleep in peace now my dear, dear Donna.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Melody, thank you for the tribute to Donna. My prayers go out to her family, both here and at home. I didn't know her, but I know those who did will never forget her.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm so sad to have lost another good DG friend. Howie and I both have great memories of spending time with her and Jerry at that roundup. She was such a genuinely kind, loving woman. Everyone she met was a friend.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I never forget about Donna that she is good and happy so I m so in shock now and hopeful she gone to Garden heaven...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Donna was a very special lady. She made you feel like you had known her all your life. She will be greatly missed. Jerry I am sorry for your loss and I am sending hugs your way.

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm so sorry to hear about Donna. I wish I had the opportunity to get to know her. She sounds like she was a wonderful person and a good friend to all.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Donna was one of the best people I know. Carring, loving and helping everybody that came her way. I feel so lucky to have known her and to be called friend by her.
My condolences to her family.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Donna was one of the first friends I made when I joined DG. I will miss her.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

My condolences and prayers go out to Donna's family. I am sorry I never had the pleasure of meeting her as she sounds like a very special lady!!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry to hear this. She was a very dear lady. My heart goes out to her family. Was it sudden or had she been sick?

Brenda

sending T&P to her family.
she was a fun person to talk with . I didn't know her well but got to talk with her a few times while here on DG.
many special thoughts
sue

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Brenda, she had cancer for a year.

Crossville, TN

I just went back to the first KY RU thread to think of the first time I had met Donna and Jerry.....It dawned on me that we had DMJ/Doris, Floridian/Stacey, and SoCal/Donna all together at that time...now all three have left this earth and have probably met up again in the Heavenly Garden!! I loved all three of them. Jo

Crossville, TN

I found this picture in the first RU that was in TN....Donna managed to "work herself" into attending ....Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That is hilarious, what a sense of humor!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Everyone

I have hesitated to post @ Donna because it hurts too
much that she is gone. I was a newbie at 2 RU's that I met her. She was just as Rodica described. Made us feel right at home and so very giving. Even very heartfully asked us to visit her in her home. Didn't happen however I'm so very, very blessed to have a couple of plants in our yard which she so very generously shared.

My heartfelt condolences to all her family,
She was a very special lady and will be so missed by all!
Sylvia Kinnee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

So very sorry. know she will be missed by everyone here. prayers for all her family and friends.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sometimes in our lives we meet people who accept us as we are, and make us want to be better because of their example. Donna, was just such a person. She was kind and giving and just plain fun to be around. I had the good fortune of meeting her shortly after I joined DG. She was everything Rodica said, generous, helpful, welcoming, a real Lady.
Oh, I do remember how sad she was that she'd forgotten her favorite salad bowl, after we hosted our first RU here. I mailed it back to her in time for Thanksgiving. : - )
I know she didn't post much of late, but she was lurking, and I would often try to make her laugh, with some of the stuff I posted.
I will never forget the conversations we had about red eared slider turtles. : - )
Wish I could tell her mine laid eggs this year, (in a gopher hole), and I got a photo of two big turtles and saw one little turtle all at once this spring.
But mostly I will remember her for being such a warm and helpful person. I was really surprised when this gift from her bloomed this year. She was so generous. Sadly, I've forgotten the name of the plant (see photo), but I will always remember who gave it to me with joy in my heart, for having had the opportunity to meet such a Lovely Lady. She will be greatly missed.
While I am grieving for our dear Donna, I know that she was in a lot of pain from the cancer, and as hard as she fought, it still won. I know that she is no longer in pain, and is probably cracking wise with my Dad, and her other DG friends who'd passed away before her. At least I like to think that, it comforts me to know that we will be reunited with our loved ones someday.
My deepest condolences to her family and all of her many friends here at DG. I know she touched many lives and words are just not enough to express my sorrow . . .
Here's a big "HUG" for everyone who knew and cared for Donna. Especially, her DH and her Sis, who were such a comfort to her.
Walk In Beauty, as did Donna~
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Donna gave me one of those too SW and another but I've forgotten both names. The other one she gave me is so big and full of blooms right now. Can't help but think of Donna every time I see it out front.
She was a good friend to me. I can't believe it's been a week already.
Good to see you posting SW. I hope everything is going better for you now and that you're feeling better.
Here's a picture from a little gathering I had a couple of years ago...notice how the light shines directly on Donna.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Weegy,
That was the one I had to miss. I recognize most everyone in that photo. Yes, the sun was shining on Donna that day. Bless her heart, she was such a great person.
I can't thank you enough for keeping us posted on her health, and even though I missed the thread you posted when Donna was in ICU, (my Mom was in the Hospital at the same time), my heart does go out to the family and I know that those flowers will always be known to me as Donna's gift flowers, to me. Found a better photo.
Been weeping all day, but know she's in good company.
Forgot to mention her DD and GS, but they were included in that huge "HUG".
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I know and understand. You had enough going on yourself at that time.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

So sorry to hear that we've lost another special friend. I agree with SW that I hope she has joined many of our other gardening friends in Heaven. My sympathy goes out to her family and many, many friends!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread, and though I didn't know her, I'll miss seeing her posts. I'm so sorry for the loss, but I agree that she must be busy working in God's garden with our other Dg friends there.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Peggy (Mystic), Donna, Susie (Calalily) and Vic at the 2003 KYRU.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ralph (Mr. Mistymeadows), Jerry, and Donna at the hoedown at the 2003 KYRU. :)

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Another shot of the hoedown from the 2003 KYRU. With Ralph, Esther (Esther_Z6), Kathy (Mistymeadows) and Jerry.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom Cathy (Lotusblossom) and Donna at the 2003 KYRU.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This is Lisa's photo, but I know she won't mind my reposting it. Donna made these darling little spoon people as gifts for everyone at the 2003 KYRU.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This little kitty's name was Rocky. Paul and Stacey (Floridian) found him on their way up to the KYRU. He came along for the ride and had a permanent home with them. Donna was smitten with the kittens. Lisa's family had kittens with them, too, and I think Donna had a kitten attached to her 90% of the time that weekend. :)

Quoting:
I enjoyed meeting all these pets as much as their owners. I was looking forward to meeting Emma and Sarah since they are famous now. lol I also did a lot of bonding with Carly, Mels little dog, and Stacy's dog Buster. I just love animals and enjoyed them all.

The kitties were just too precious and I couldn't stop holding them. Lisa tried to talk my DH into letting me have one but his comment was "she can have a kitty or the internet"...guess you know which one I had to give back. hehe

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/402437/

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 2:07 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow. Thanks for posting all the pics, folks. I was at a couple of those Round Ups when Donna came. I even got to spend some time with Jerry, Donna's beloved. Sure was a nice treat to see and be with them both.

And yep, what a gathering the year Doris, Donna, and Stacy were all there.

"now all three have left this earth and have probably met up again in the Heavenly Garden!"
Hey, Jo, I reckon they're laying the groundwork for yet another garden, eh?

Thinking of Jerry and Donna today. They're separate physically now but no doubt still together in many other ways.

Hugs all around!
Shoe

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gardenwife,
That is so nice of you to post the photos of Donna. : - )
I hope it not only helps her DG family of friends, but also her relatives.
I know that I appreciated the photos that were posted of my Dad when he passed away. I don't have many of him, except with his camera attached to his face. : - )
I wanted to share this song/video with you. It has touched my heart and spirit in a profound and comforting way.
This one is for you, Donna, enjoy your journey to the Great Mystery.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qFbNskjCI&feature=related
May it bring some peace, solace and acceptance to all.
Walk In Beauty,
SingingWolf

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

SingingWolf, that was beautiful and Donna would have loved it. I am so saddened by the news of the loss of Donna. She was one of those rare people that come along that light up a room and bring sunshine to every one she met.

I first met her at the 2003 Kentucky Roundup and I still have my spoon person :) She was so good to everyone that was there and just kept loving on my granddaughter.

Donna, what a blessing to have not only known you, but to have met you too :)

I'll see you again one day.

With love, Kathy & Ralph

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Jules

The flower you posted, given to you by Donna is a Alstroemeria.

Love ya,
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sylvia, I will never be able to remember that name, although I do recognize it being it's correct name, so take note Weegy! LOL!
To me it will always be Donna's beautiful flowering plant. : - )
Thanks for taking the time to look it up Sylvia. That was sweet of you.
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I will SW. I have that one in my head now. I have some sort of geranium Donna gave me also and have to post in ID forum.
BTW, the service for Donna was wonderful. I learned so many things I didn't know about her. I didn't know she bowled for one. Dina and Jerry put together a beautiful video tribute to her.
She is in good, loving hands now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.