Diseases of Mint

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

The Peppermint and Spearmint I grow in a self-watering tub in my backyard couldn't be better. The plants are bushy and over two feet high. More importantly, their color is good, and they are virtually free of any discoloration or signs of insect damage. On the other hand, the nine mints of various types (Spearmint, Peppermint, Chocolate mint, Lavender mint, and (?) mint, are a scraggly lot. They seem to be suffering from a variety of ailments, but I want to concentrate here on the most distinctive one. What disease or condition manifests itself with tiny patches of white gauzy/webby/cottony material? I might add that I am growing these substandard plants in five-gallon plastic grow pots, with one variety to each pot, Also, assuming that at least some of my plants are suffering from some kind of fungus infection, is there any cure for this, or should I just scrap the plants? Some branches/stalks are now bare, but I can see the beginnings of new leaves.

Severna Park, MD(Zone 7a)

From your description, it sounds like you are defining either powdery mildew (most likely) or white flies. White flies do not normally denude plants. I would suggest a wide spectrum fungicide that includes control of powdery mildew. Google 'Powdery Mildew' and check out some of the photos and compare them to your plants.

Bob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.