My heliconia died

Sumter, SC

I was thrilled when I removed my heliconia's winter protection in mid February, and found it very much alive. Since then, it died. I don't know if the fire ant bed beneath caused it to die, or maybe my not fully protecting it on several cold nights afterwards. I planted some that I had taken inside for the winter, and it's finally beginning to take off. One stem already has a little color, and I'm going to protect another patch again next winter. Stay tuned;-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

So sorry to thear the news, the fire ants certainly could not have helped the situation.

Sumter, SC

Thanks, ardesia. It was a large fire ant bed that may have created underground air pockets. Next year I'll check the progress again in mid February, treat for fire ants if necessary, and completely re-cover it until April. A couple clumps I overwintered indoors are beginning to bloom.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Your yard is so lush and beautiful Jeannie - with all kinds of surprises tucked around in it...I loved seeing it in person yesterday - it just begs a person to walk around the next corner to see what they will find :)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

At least you had some inside! And they're blooming now, how wonderful.
The one I got from Plant Delights died also. I kept it in a pot in the greenhouse over the winter and it wasn't very happy by the time I planted it in the Spring. It never rebounded and died about a month ago.
My fault I'm sure. I should have waited until Spring to buy it.
Barb

Sumter, SC

You're so kind, red, and it was such a pleasure to have you over! What can I say? My yard's layout was inspired by shopping malls.LOL. Thanks for advising me to get that hanging basket of dying Parrot's Beak out of the heat. It was also infested with fire ants. And thanks for pronouncing native Smilax properly(and teaching me one more thing) about a vine with which I have a such a love/hate relationship. Still looking for the "that's Mrs. Smilax to you" T-shirt;-)

I bought PDN's hardy heliconia in June, I hope it makes it. I planted it in a shady spot and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sumter, SC

I was wondering how your heliconia was doing, Barb. I'm sorry it didn't make it - I would've thought it would've made it in a GH, too.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, too, ardesia. If it doesn't easily survive down your way, I don't think it could possibly survive a winter in my backyard w/o heroics. ( My out of zone heliconia is growing in full sun.) Looking forward to seeing a pic when yours blooms;-)

This is the one I have: http://www.plantdelights.com/searchprods.asp
After re-reading the cultural requirements I believe I have mine in too much shade. Maybe I will leave it there until spring as the tree cover should protect it during the winter.

Sumter, SC

That is such an exotic, tall growing heliconia, ardesia. I'm definitely going to give a whirl next spring. I'm growing Parrot's Beak (Heliconia Psittacorum), which spreads like crazy in my back yard through Oct. I was surprised that it has a light root system, which is easy to scoop up before our first freeze. ( I thought it would be deep rooted like cannas.) Your cold hardy heliconia should develop an extensive root system this summer, and do well in your zone. I noticed that protection is recommended the first 2 winters, and I'm wondering if the 6' stalk dies back completely to the ground in its 3rd winter w/o protection. And if it does grow back from the ground, I wonder if it can shoot up to 6' in one growing season - especially in my zone 8a backyard. I guess there's only one way to find out;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.