Michigan Storm 07/11/11

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeaterday was not a good day for my garden. We had a fast moving storm come through, blew down the tomatoes, after the storm, we put cages around them and are trying to save them. The sweet corn was blown right out of the ground, pulled up by 60-70- mph winds. there are trees down on houses, power outs, and many people wishing they had more insurance. Seem like every year just as the gardens are really getting good we have these kind of storms. Oh, well back to propping up plants.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

So sorry to hear that. I hope some recover in time to bare fruit for you. Since you say you get these storms every year perhaps you should consider planting a wind break around your garden. THink that might help some? I have an 8 foot chain link fence around my main vegetable garden. Not sure if the fencing provides enough wind break or not. I guess anything that breaks up the wall of wind would help. It sure does keep out the deer and rabbits. We spray the fruit trees and I always add a bit of liquid fence in to keep the deer off them. Maybe plant the garden in a large dug out ditch or build a berm with soil around the garden. Something to think about. I really don't know the answer. Just thinking outloud.

Gardening can get challening. THat is for sure.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

How right you are. We have decided we will not plant anymore sweet corn, i can buy it locally and saw myself the grief.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm across the lake from you. My tomato plants in containers were all knocked over. Amazingly there was little damage to them due to the cages I had around the plants, which protected them from major breakage when they fell. I'm going to anchor the pots to the ground with big fence stakes and bungee cords tonight. Should probably have done it before now but I really didn't think all that weight would tip over, since the containers are pretty bottom-heavy. The foliage acts like a sail, it appears.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

It blew and rained like crazy for about 10 minutes, blew over several tomato cages but really not much damage.

Paul

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW we came through there Monday on our way home from upstate N.Y. sorry for you but glad we missed it hope every thing gets back to normal soon
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.