CLOSED: Zone In...Page 5

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry, but we're closed to new participants and Secret Buddies have been assigned. If you'd like to join us next year, feel free to chime in.

We're sharing a minimum of 8 Perennials you're already growing that are ready to divide and you'd like to share with a fellow participant who lives in or close to your Zone. That way none of us needs to buy plants, and we have the assurance if they're growing well in your Zone, they should grow equally well for your Secret Buddy.

It's up to the Sender to choose plants they'd like to share, and they should should be Priority Mailed with a Delivery Confirmation Number by June 30th or as soon as you can afterward, especially for friends who live in the South or Mid-West.

DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our thread...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, and D-mail me the number so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for participants.

AmandaEsq / Amanda --- > Zone 7b -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, Part Shade and Shade -- > Received from FruitOfTheVine
busy_gardener / Karen -- > Zone 4/5a -- > Full Sun and Part Shade
Chellflower / Chell -- > Zone 8b -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, and Shade. Would welcome Sub-Tropicals and Pond Plants.
Crit / Patti -- > Zone 7a -- > Mostly shade with dappled Sun
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- > Zone 6b -- > Mostly Sun -- > Received from joeswife
dispatcher1 / Lou -- > Zone 5b -- > Rec'd from Mittsy
FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > Zone 7a -- > Full Sun -- > Received from jsxtiger
happgarden / Joyce -- > Zone 5a -- > Full Sun, Part Sun, Dense Shade, also has a Water Garden -- > Rec'd from dispatcher1
jsxtiger / Jax -- > Zone 7a
janaestone / Di -- > Zone 6b -- > Mostly Full Sun, Some Shade -- Received from roxxanne
joeswife / Debra -- > Zone 6a -- > Receved from poisondartfrog
minnesippi / Stephanie -- > Zone 4a -- > Sun and Shade -- > Received from warriorswisdonkathy
mittsy / Mittsy -- > Zone 5a -- > Sun and Shade -- > Received from happgarden
poisondartfrog / Alana -- > Zone 6b ~ 7a -- > Full Sun or Part Sun
rednyr / Deanna --> Zone 8a -- > Full Sun, majority of yard is Part Sun -- > Received from Chellflower
ridesredmule / Char -- > Zone 8b -- > Received from rednyr
roxxanne / Rox -- > Zone 6a -- Received from Cville_Gardener
warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > Zone 5 -- > Full Sun -- > Received from busy_gardener

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 5:11 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ow. Why is everybody making me walk so far?

If you're going through a tough time or are just zapped by the heat, it's perfectly fine to wait to mail your box of plants. I would, however, like to wrap this one up by the end of the month if at all possible so we can move on to "Neck Of The Woods" for Fall.

No comments from the Peanut Gallery.....but I have a question. Do Naked Ladies come in different colors? Your photo, happ, looks like the flowers that pop up on the sides of the roads here especially at old homeplaces, except the blooms are Purple.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

My naked ladys don't come up til fall here. Or late summer.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes Lycoris {naked ladies} come in different colors - I scored big time 4 years ago at Park Seed in Greenwood when they were 'getting rid' of spring bulb stock that hadn't sold - 5 bulbs for .25 yes a quarter! I bought all they had naturally LOL

Funny you should mention yours bloom late in the season, Char. Now I'm really thinking it's the same plant.

Hey Newlywed! I'm a born and bred Carolina Girl:) How was your Special Day? And how bad were your jitters...lol Now ya'll all know we had them no matter how short or long ago we were married.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

wedding was just awesome...all I hoped it would be...breeze came in off the lake during the ceremony, plenty of shade for everyone, 150 lb. hog devoured by all LOL Thanks for asking!!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I havn't seen my naked ladies this year yet.. I think they don't wanna get sunburned. 111 yesterday, 105 today..My stella de oro is all dried up, I thought they were draught tolerant and sun loving? PFFT!
I snipped all the struggling cones and monardas and other stuff out front down to 5 inches. Everything got cut , I figure easier to grow roots than to grow buds and have them abort.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Congrats Red! Hope you are as happy as I have been for the last 29 years!

Fruity, like Red said I have seen them on the internet different colors and mine bloom in late summer if memory serves me right.

Debra, I heard on the news last night that you all are frying out there...wow, we just now hit the really horrible temps, I was shocked at how hot you all are.... I haven't seen my naked ladies either....very strange year.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I know the ones I planted in Newberry never bloomed before August...not sure if it depends on the squamigera variety or not

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I planted my Naked Ladies and in the process unplanted a zillion Star of Bethlehem bulbs. Dmail me if you want some.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Oh boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FOUND YOU! Somehow I lost the link.

Alana, I received the poppy seeds. Thanks so much!!!! That will give me some beautiful poppies next spring.

Yes, I had poppies this year. They are so pretty! I tried re-planting to get another flush, but it is just too hot. They are about 2" tall, alive, but not growing. I'm keeping them watered and maybe when it cools down they will grow and bloom in the fall.

Have a great day everyone! Try to stay cool. We have a forcast of over 100 for the next 7 days. There is a 30% chance of hit and miss showers this afternoon and evening. Pray that my place is one of the "hits" as we need rain soooooo bad.

My heart goes out to you folks in the Heartland that are cooking in the shade!

So far I've cut down Canterberry Bells and Salvia "May Night" (both for the second time), and some of the Agastaches, Shasta Daisy, and Monardas got their first haircuts today. Colors of the Cones are horribly faded and will cut them back too. I thought about saving seeds from them, but what's weird is a few of the Red ones have these funky looking tufts on top that shouldn't be there. Wonder if the bees cross-pollinated them with Milkshake?

Yesterday I pulled up my Nigella damascena "Love In A Mist" plant, snipped off the seed pods into a paper bag and after shaking it, see there's plenty of seeds to go around..... anybody here want some? Blooms on mine were bluish purple: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/19/

Speaking of seeds, yesterday I mailed bubble envies of 25 Tiger Lily seeds to each of you Chell, Carole and Alana. Which I've learned since offering they really aren't 'seeds' but are called 'bulbils'. Ya'll probably knew that but I learn something new every day. A bunch had already sprouted in the baggies. I still have at least 50 more left. Any takers?

Morning Glory seeds sowed for this one that opened this morning for the first time must have come from you Debra or Alana, and is an unusual smoky Purple color, at least it's unusual for me.

Tiger Lily showing "bulbils" at the axis of each leaf the last week of June before I collected them. Each of those little puppies will produce a plant just like its Mother.

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Fruity, I hope your cones don't have aster yellows. It's a virus that affects coneflowers, and is spread by leafhoppers. If your plant has it, you have to destroy the plant so it doesn't spread to your other coneflowers. My 'Green Envy' got it last year. It had perfectly good flowers, and then they started developing these weird extra growths on their cones. You can google aster yellows to find out more about it. Hope that's not what you have.
My Monarda is just starting to bloom, and everyday a new daylily is opening up. My brugs had their first flowers open today. Here's 'Sunset'

Thumbnail by busy_gardener
Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's 'Light of the World'

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

And 'Iszy Dizzy'

BEAUTIFUL! we got some rain finally.... all my tiger lilys got broke down by tree limbs, so no bulbuils for me..

sun fried most of the star gazers, no one told me what to do about the stella de oros, any clue on why they are dried up straw? should I dig them up? *sigh*

I still have not grown any poppies, I have planted about 5000 seeds of them.. *sigh* this is the most horrible gardening season ever..
I sure hope I sent you guys some of these seeds from last years crop..nothing growing vine wise on the fence to the north, the dogs just tear them up when I go out, they are so happy to see me.. I have my vines around the patio right now..can I WHINE?

My shade grass is frying now since there IS NO SHADE on the south side.

Thumbnail by joeswife

This has been a pretty rotten year for gardening. My mailbox is still naked, some good growth at the base but not many M G blooms. The only thing that did super well were the Japanese irises and I think that is because we were flooded for so long this spring. I planted my lettuce in mid May and it has sprouted but not grown, the spinach bolted and the beans haven't climbed much. I'm very discouraged. Can I whine with you? I brought my tomato plants with me from FL and I have three tomatoes, still green, but good size.

I hope you saved some of your mailbox seeds, Mittsy, I planted everyone I had from you and only a coule vines so far, most of my blooms from that packet came in the winter downstairs.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

It has been a difficult year for gardening here this year too. Much more rain than usual so far, but terrible high temps. We've been hovering around 100 degrees for a while now, but today we may not get hotter than 90.
My Stargazer fried too, but my favorite lilies did pretty well.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog

Look Debra. The Brazillian Morning glory is in bloom and growing everywhere since we have gotten rain. The one in the Greenhouse is looking good too.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

I do have more seed if you don't mind old seed from 2009 and 2010. That Brazilian is beautiful.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Love the Brazilian MG!

Thank you. I bet I have oodles of seeds, just remind me and they will be yours.....

save a few for me, too char, i gave mine all away.. it looks beautiful!
a seed is a seed, mittsy.. lol
brug nursery

Thumbnail by joeswife

Speaking of Stargazers, I have a couple and haven't seen them blooming yet. We've had the same kind of weather last year with a very rainy May and pleasant temps, then June hit and has felt like the Dog Days of August ever since and am looking forward to a cool down tomorrow and Friday.

OK, this is Echinacea "Hot Lava" today, not looking so hot. Never heard of aster yellows virus, Karen, and thank you for cluing me in. Love learning something new.
Edited to ask: Can you tell if that's what's wrong? About 1/2 the blooms have these weird top formations.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 7:48 PM

Same deal with E. Tomato Soup and a lot of its blooms early on looked deformed or had hardly any petals. The color never really was as bright as it has been the past 2 years when I first bought the plant. Any advice is much appreciated, even if it means ripping them out.

I would like some of the tiger lily seeds ....er....bulbuils. :-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Froot:

http://www.extension.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/Diseases/astryel2.htm

http://kentcoopextension.blogspot.com/2007/07/ornamentals-hotline-disease-pictures.html

Never heard of such a thing, but I think I have at least one coneflower plant in the back 40 that shows some weird cone development...

A.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 9:01 PM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Fruit, if not all taken I'd very much love some. I had a garden til yesterday at 4pm. Now gone, mostly sticks that I will have to let releaf. Phooey!!!! Anyway,next........ Kathy.

Gosh darn it. I hate losing plants but it looks like I need to rip these out, Amanda.

Gotcha covered, Patti and Kathy. What the heck happened to your garden yesterday?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Fruity - I know - told you about my hollyhocks, but I am not superman. :/

Sorry about your coneflowers. Bacterial? Someone somewhere was talking about a microrhyza (sp) spray they use in their garden. I wonder if it would help at all to spray beneficial bacteria?

Just trying to find a solution. I hate the "soil" here at this house. This year rust, last year powdery mildew on everything.

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Fruity, your coneflowers look like mine did. If you look at the second link that Amanda posted and the third picture down (I think) and you'll see an example. It makes me sick to think of all the time and money I have put into all these new coneflowers. I think that it's viral, which means no cure.

Amanda, my hollyhocks have a terrible rust problem. They just look awful, and it's too late to spray now.

Maybe I should just rip everything out and stick to daylilies! Here's Malaysian Monarch. It flowered for the first time. Does anyone know why daylilies have white spots on their petals sometimes when they open up?

busy, there is one thing about DG I have learned so much about plants and virus and dieases....it is good but dang.... hostas scare me to death, daylilies with rust, now coneflowers with something, brugs with that other diease....dang... ;) ughhh! I use to be fat, dumb, and happy, now I am smarter, paranoid, gosh why if I am opposite in everything else why can't I be skinny....rofl.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha haha ha - well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I started pulling out coneflowers today. Like you, all this knowledge is making me do things I never though possible like yanking a perfectly good coneflower and walking it straight to the trash. How strange.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that would be so hard for me to do! I just keep talking to them saying 'flower, heal thyself' .... :-) I don't sing, that would definately kill them.

E. Tomato Soup and Hot Lava are trash too and while I was at it, Tiki Torch was planted between them sorta close and yanked it out too. Dang it. Hubby asked why I was throwing away blooming plants...lol and told them they were sick. He said find a spray or a dust or something to heal them and didn't like hearing they were virused. Oh well, I will try again. That only leaves Milkshake, a new orange one, and an old-fashioned purple.

Some of my first daylilies blooms were blotched too. See the first bloom on the one below back in mid-June? Don't have a clue why it happens and we hadn't had a rain.

At least one more of you Gals have received your plants. Come on and post the first chance you get so we can 'read all about 'em'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.