Birds eating Sluggo?

Novato, CA(Zone 10a)

I've been having problems with snails lately, so I put Sluggo around many of my plants. I've been noticing that it's been disappearing suspiciously quickly though, and I just now saw the reason - the birds are eating it! Is this a problem? I know it says that it's safe for use around wildlife, but is that true even if small birds eat it in great quantities? I just watched a Spotted Towhee come and eat about 15-20 pieces of the stuff, and I just don't think that can be good for it. Additionally, even if it is safe for the birds, if they keep eating it that means I have to keep applying it to keep the snails away, and that stuff isn't cheap.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I always try to hide it where the snails hide...under dense plants and tight places...out of site of cats, chiuauas, kids, etc. Youngsters will eat anything!

Novato, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the advice! I will try to put it closer to the base of the plant so hopefully the leaves will help obscure the pellets. The plants are new and quite small, so it won't be perfect, but hopefully it will help some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.