Polygonum orientales (Kiss me over the garden gate)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I recently acquired a very haggard looking KMOTGG in a 4" pot at a flea market. I only bought it for the seeds which I now have plenty of, since it was blooming when I got it.

Having grown these in the past from 6 packs (you used to be able to get these anywhere years ago, but not anymore) I'm now reading that the seed needs to be chilled before it will germinate. Anyone know how long they need to be chilled, or how long they need to dry before doing so ? Also, how long do they take to germinate ?

Ideally, I'd like to plant them now, for this fall's bloom, but that probably won't happen from what I've read.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i am a beginner but i have a packet of seeds for this plant and on it it says germination can take anywhere from 10 to 60 days and it needs 4-8 weeks of cold. it also says to plant within a year of harvest or they wont grow. hope this helps. i did get the seeds from a commercial site.

kc

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks ! I was afraid it was too late for this year :(
How did yours do ?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

hate to admit are still sitting in the opened package. sigh.......... no doubt by the time i get around to planting them they wont germinate

kc

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Maybe you could wintersow them? That works for most self seeding annuals and seeds needing a cold treatment. There is a wintersowing forum with lots of great information.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

thank you, and i meant to say unopened package, not opened. (fingers to fast for brain)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I tried a few different methods of sowing them. Direct sowed in very early spring, damp Paper towel/baggy and fridge (for a month). Also had a baggy that I alternated to room temp & freezer and alternate from room to fridge. The only success was wintersown in a milkjug...and only one germinated. The plant is about 5 feet tall and has survived some hail storm, but is really late with bloom buds. I hope it can handle some frosts so I see what the blooms will look like.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the little buds. There was a light frost last night and I think tonight it ill be much colder, so hopefully they survive the frost. The weather is going to be back to very warm days and well above freezing for the rest of the week.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I hope it doesn't freeze for you, joanna. Forecasters seem to give us the worst case. I ran around like a madwoman bringing things inside this week when the forecase was for 40'F. Luckily it wasn't quite that cold. The plants have cheered things up inside.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well, the plant blooms did not fully open last Sept. So, today I put a bunch of seeds in a damp paper towel, in a freezer bag and put them in to the freezer. One bag to be thawed and sowed Feb 22 and the other Mar 22. Hopefully they will germinate quickly when thawed/sowed. I'm going to start them indoors to see if I can get blooms by July.

We will see what happens There is not date on the package and I had bought them last year. Hopefully the statement about planting the year of harvest will not be true

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm going to have to try your damp papertowel/baggie and freezer method next season. We didn't even get any winter temps here this year. Really it just seemed like a long drawn out cold fall.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I just got these seeds in a robin, had no idea they could be so complicated. Has anyone had success? I could Deno them now in the fridge in the city, or wait until April 1 and WS them when we open the house in CT. Wild love help deciding... Or maybe I should try both?

Thanks! Pam

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have planted one that germinated in March by my arbour. It already has some flower buds and is growing great. I hope it gets to be 6 feet tall.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 6:15 PM

Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Judging by the size of those leaves I don't think you need to worry !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.