chocolate vine zone question

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

the vendor i bought these seeds from says it will grow in zone 9. plant files say to zone 8.
has anyone grown them in zone 9? not sure if i should plant them or trade them away. have been frustrated enough planting things that say zone 9 then die, (usually due to the cold temps)

thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd worry more about your summer heat than winter cold--assuming by chocolate vine you mean Akebia quinata it's hardy down to zone 5 so your winters won't cause a problem for it. Summers might be a different matter entirely though and that may be why it's only listed up to zone 8, so I'd read through the comments on it in Plant Files and see if you find people in other hot parts of the country growing it successfully (the other reason why things are sometimes only listed to zone 8, etc is if they need winter chill to bloom, but I've seen people around here growing it successfully so that's not an issue in this case)

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

yes that is the one. thank you. will give it a try the scent alone would be worth the effort if they can grow. going to read comments now

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I grow Akebia quinata . It seems to survive our crazy heat. Survived the 123 we had a couple of weeks back. Sometimes the leaf edges get a little crispy though.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

thank you so much, the highest we have seen is 110 so i am going to plant and enjoy (i hope)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.