Summer 2011 - What's blooming in your garden? Part 1

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

We came from the Spring thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183341/

Amazing what you can grow in the Summer months! :-)

Quite a few of my NOID daylilies are blooming again. I am loving it! This bloom flush is one of my favorite daylilies!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 11:40 AM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Many of you will get a chuckle from my veggie and fruit plants ...

This is sweet yellow onions growing in a nursery pot. The label on the seeds was chives! LOL! Apparently not!

Cucumbers are growing on the cattle panel arbor with the I. indica vines! LOL! It works for me!

Cantaloupe growing up the fence trellis. You can see two small cantaloupes forming from the vines.

A watermelon forming. We'll see if it makes it. I've had several that started to form but didn't make it because of all the rainfall we've been getting. Fingers crossed that I get at least one good size fruit from all the vines growing all over my garden bed!

My eggplant is just loaded with edible eggs! LOL!

Here is another photo showing the true color of the NOID brug. It looks like a golden color to me. (Maybe I am color blind?)

Does anyone know what this ground cover plant is? I like it! It showed up after all the rain we've had lately.

Incense Passiflora vine and bloom. I really like this aggressive growing vine! ;-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we call that plant you asked about ice plant here in kansas..
pixie beautiful iris there, it has been in triple digits up to 109 and over 102 for almost two weeks and my water bill is going to be a killer..no rain!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Becky, really enjoyed getting to see some of your veges. They look great.
Love your other plants too, the Incense passi flower is a beauty.
Debra, mercy!! You're temps worse than ours.
Love your pretty bloom.

Pixie, gorgeous Jap Irises. Yours was pretty too Mittsy.
Love your Strawberry daylily Becky.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the compliments everyone on the iris's.
Becky that DL is lovely! Your veggies are looking good too. I think your ground cover is Moss Rose/aka= Portulaca. I thought at first it was Ice Plant too but I.P. look more like a cactus bloom.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/264091/
Joeswife, what is the name of that beautiful MG? it's stunning!!

Pixie, I thought it was Moss Rose too but the lvs didn't look quite right. Although Moss Rose has 2 different
types each with lvs that are completely different

My Pale Pink Waterlily, had to block the sun

Thumbnail by patootie

Thanks everyone! I just saw that something is boring holes in my cantaloup! Grrrr ... Bugs are a real problem here this time of year!

Debra - Pretty bloom! I can't believe your temps in Kansas! Yikes! We've been in the low 90's here with very high humidity. It's sweltering outdoors. I didn't know I could sweat like that! LOL!

Pixie, Debra, and Jackie - My unknown plant might be Portulaca. I had some growing years ago! Thanks for the possible ID!

Jackie - Lovely color on your waterlily! Do you grow other water plants, too, or just the WL?

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 9:49 PM

Becky just the waterlilys. The only reason I grow the waterlily's is I plant them in the tubs and forget about them, not even remembering to feed them. :-).

Waterlilies are tough plants ... I'll give them that! I love mine! Always action in my water containers these days! Lots of tadpoles and fish. (My fish have been multiplying, so am feeding them fish food now. I need to move some of the fish to my other water containers to eat more mosquitos. Not a mosquito to be found the in the larger pond containers with the fish. They are great at keeping the mosquito larvae population down by eating them!

A photo of my Red Shrimp Plant blooms.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 8:09 PM

Front garden bed is blooming again. Probably because of the rain. We've been very lucky to get rain a couple times a week. Glad to see the rainy season here! I hope the rest of you get some much needed relief with some rain showers!

Becky, Beautiful Red Shrimp plant. One of the prettiest I've seen.

my little water lillys were doing so good until it got to 111, even with water flow the algea is kiling us, got some kind of barley treatment, and some wl food, here is hoping..oh and some fishies too. this is the outerside of my patio heaven, next to the pond. notice the stictocardia?( from a cutting)

Thumbnail by joeswife

Jackie - Thanks! I am surprised at how much that Shrimp plant is blooming right now. The hummers spotted it right away with all those red blooms! ;-)

Debra - Your sticto looks like mine ... a wild child! LOL! What kind of algae are you getting in your water container/pond? If it is string algae, I just reach in the water, twist it around my fingers, and pull it out and discard it in the trash or over the fence! LOL! I live with that in my water containers and have to clean the algae out every 2 weeks or so as it grows back really fast. Just one more thing I have to stay on top of! But I love the water lilies so it is worth it. My fish like the lilies too. Gives them places to hide. But the algae makes it hard for them to swim around, so I am constantly checking the ponds and containers for algae. I have a zillion tadpoles in my pond right now, too! Everyone fights for the fish food and mosquito larvae. :-)

I would have to buy tadpoles, and they are for bull frogs here, and they wouldn't stay in the pond once they grow leggs, and then they would be bluejay food.. *sigh*

Thumbnail by joeswife

2 blooms at once. I set this planter ( made out of a squirrel proof bird feeder) by the now barren fence on the south side.

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is the planter.

Thumbnail by joeswife

african marigolds are bloming.. thank goodness..( still very hot here, 100's all week into next week)

Thumbnail by joeswife

I. Plantesis is still blooming.

Thumbnail by joeswife

I keep cutting this and it keeps blooming..

Thumbnail by joeswife

lilac defleur is really a big plant this year, and that is different, last year they were tiny things.

Thumbnail by joeswife

that is a datura, by the way, and here is a cool leaf, can't wait to see it bloom..

Thumbnail by joeswife

golden shrimp plant out front is blooming..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, I love the soft color on your Kikyo. Lilac Lefleur is a beauty too.
Pretty Golden Shrimp.

Debra - This is an I. nil vine leaf, correct? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8691243 You mentioned datura ... is that what the MG is climbing?

Love your golden yellow Shrimp Plant! Very pretty! Your I. Plantesis is stunning! Love it! ♥ And the two in one MG blooms on the one vine is an eye-catcher!

Your waterlilies look good. Should be bigger though. Are you keeping them fertilized. They might each need another fertilizer pellet. Mine are large and blooming, so that is why I am suggesting that. Your pond is nice. The frogs here are cuban tree frogs and spend time in the water. Which drives me crazy as they produce WAY TOO MANY tadpoles. I prefer fish to tell you the truth ...

Becky, I will trade you some tadpoles for some grasshoppers LOL
I just fed those Water lillies, they eat better than I do..
yes that is an i. nil leaf, that is a planter of i. nils from someone, i have to get in there and look at the tag.

thanks, jackie, like you I am waiting for a lot of blooms. these one here and there teasers are driving me mad.

you pandurata makes me drool. no show on any of the seeds i planted, it would have helped if I'd tagged them i guess.

the tuber had a vine, but then it dried up, so now we start over. *sigh* I am planting it into the ground on the new full sun south fence this fall. maybe sooner.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, You're going to plant a pandy tuber? That will shorten you're wait time for blooms. Hope it does well for you
so you can look forward to the blooms maybe next yr since you're starting from a tuber.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I've seen a red shirmp plant before, but never that big, very pretty.
I've never seen a golden shirmp plant it's spectacular!!

Becky, Look what I found on my DS's property next door. He owns the adjoining acreage.
Today DH was mowing and he brought me a flower from a vine
growing on the fence. I was so happy to see it was a Maypop, Passiflora incarnata. And to think I have
been struggling to grow one from sd and the field next door is full of them. lol

Thumbnail by patootie

I notice that whenever I see a maypop (incarnata), theres usuallly a white passi growing close by.
The same is true here. A white passi, sub peltata? growing side by side with incarnata.
A former friend had both passi's growing in her wooded areas. My local $ store also sports both passi's.
Would love to know how and why this happens.

Thumbnail by patootie

Jackie - Your Passifloras are beautiful! So glad that you finally have some! :-) I love vines and at the top of my list are MGs, Clematis, and Passifloras. I keep adding to my clematis list and this year added a couple more Passiflora vines, too. (Incense, cotton leaf, and the white Passiflora incarnate "alba" all grown from seeds except incense.) I had added the P. aurantia which is my absolute favorite passiflora which I grew last year and got tons of blooms on it this year! (I like that one in particular because the blooms last a week and change in color from a light peach color to an orangish-red color.) But I love the the others too!

This is a collage of P. aurantia which has a long lasting bloom that does a color change over a week's time. Pretty neat, huh?

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 8:08 AM

Becky, thats a beautiful bloom. I love that it changes colors.

Jackie - Thank you! I really love the P. aurantia blooms! I love the later dark pink/red color blooms. You know I have a thing for red! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.