Unknown Perennial

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I brought some perennials last Fall and planted them and this Spring when they came up this plant is not what I ordered and would like someone to identifier this plant. It has allot of small white flowers on it.

Thumbnail by Golden_Eagle
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It looks like a clematis. Please post a close-up photo of the flower. Thanks.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

This is the best I can do.

No it is not a clematis as far as I know. It is only about 15 to 20 inches off the ground. It's been in bloom for about a month now.

Are the flowers purple?

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

NO They white and only white.

I was thinking Clematis integrifolia but there's an awful lot of huge flower buds and in white.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I have them in my garden and they are a flowering weed. I just pull them out. Maybe your plant died over the winter and never came up?

Sorry, I thought the purple flowers were the ones in question.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like some kind of silene or catchfly.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, possibly Silene noctiflora (since the flowers appear to close during the day?)

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I found one of those (weeds) plants under my pine tree. Here it is.

Thumbnail by momoftwo607
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

My grandmother called them bladder weeds. I would pull it out, but if you like it, keep it. One person's weed is another person's native plant. I think lynchnis aka Silene coronara (?sp) is a similar but much prettier plant. The foilage is pretty even when not flowering.

I am sorry that I set my potted Mediterranean purslane near the garden. It dropped seeds like crazy! I grew it again this year because I like to add the peppery flavor to salads. The pot is sitting on the sidewalk this time!

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

momoftwo607

That looks like the samething I have.

What did you do with your's?

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I left this one alone. Its under our pine tree,not in my garden. If you like it,keep it. I pull them out if they are in the garden.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with Tipsy. I've seen it growing wild. It's in the silene/catchfly family. It does not seem to be particularly rampant. Growing wild, it seems Io stay in small clumps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.