July 10th, 2011: Crepe Myrtle 'Dynamite' (Lagerstroemia indica) by joebloom

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

The Bloom of the Day for July 10th, 2011 was Crepe Myrtle 'Dynamite' (Lagerstroemia indica).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2011-07-10

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful tree, wish it was hardy enough for my zone:(

(Zone 1)

I Love Crape Myrtles ... and 'Dynamite' is a real beauty ... Great photo!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful photo! I love these trees.

Brush Prairie, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought 4 dormant Crepe Myrtles back in Feb on Craigslist. I only paid $8 for all of them, so I figured if they were dead, I wasn't out much money. They were/are about 3.5 - 4 feet tall and, due to a very wet spring and a busy schedule, they have been sitting in a large plastic bag ever since I got them. They were kept outside and rainwater did get into the bag. The other day, I finally had a chance to check on them and noticed that 3 of the 4 have a lot of new green shoots coming off of them (yay!) The fourth one may or may not still be alive. I have no idea of the color/variety of these plants and I'm wondering where I should plant them, as I feel if I don't soon, I will lose all of them. I have an acre of property, so I'm sure I can find a good spot. Any ideas? Any place I shouldn't plant them? Also, what is the best way to plant them (individually or in a group or?) Any help is appreciated!!

(Zone 1)

PB: Some Crape Myrtles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1/ get very tall and wide so I don't know about planting them as a close group.

lahore, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Very beautiful. These are extremely heat tolerant. Bloom in our blazing summer heat of 110F.

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Bonsaibuddie
Burlington, Ontario
(Zone 6)

Just purchased @ local nursery Dwarf Crape Myrtle Fleming Filigrees supposedly hardy to Zone 5 & breed by a guy in Nebraska of all places. Has anyone had success with these beautiful southern belles in frosty northern climates? I 'd like to know?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.