Help on plant ID

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

We haven't seen this bloom in the two years we have had it. Any Ideas and to what it is? Growing in a dry, hardwood/pine forest.

Thumbnail by NativeVA
Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

I found this picture of Hydrophyllum appendiculatum in Plant Files that looks similar:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/150379/

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Sofi,

I think you nailed it! The possible reasons we haven't seen a flower is it's biennial and/or not enough sun. Thanks a bunch (berry).

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh, it feels so good to get one right! If you had posted this in the Plant Identification forum you probably would have had your answer within hours.

I hope you will consider adding some of your wildflower photos to PlantFiles, they are outstanding.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Being new to Dave's Garden, I thought I would get a better response with a wildflower ID in the Native Plant Forum. Next time I'll know.

I can't take credit for most of the photos, my wife is the one that carries the camera on our walk in the woods. I take maybe 10% of what she takes.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

I did a little more research on this and it's not supposed to be in VA, but I'm only about 20 miles (as the crow flies) from WV, so it could have sneaked over (help from that crow?).

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

I had the same thought when I saw this range map, strange how VA is excluded.

Thumbnail by Sofi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

the weather it is a changin- n so do plants change locales, may also be why its blooms are lacking, (if at the edge of its usual stomping grounds), but a fore telling of where you may next be seeing it grow..

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Sofi,

We are originally from NJ. Born and raised in Hunterdon County, last lived in the town of Milford, right along the Delaware.

We wanted more land and there was know way we could aford it in NJ, so we moved to Craig Co., VA. 5500 people in the whole county, 3/4 of it is National Forest. It is beautiful down here!

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Stop, you are making me envious (as I look at my 2011 property tax assessment.)

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

$600 a year on a house and 11.5 acres

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.