Invasion of the Japanese Beetle Hoard - More than I Expected

Madison, AL

It is not unusual, of course, to have lots of Japanese Beetles this time of year in NC. But it seems to me that the numbers are greater this year in my garden than in the past. The roses have been decimated, the hibicus plants in pots are swarming, and the Rose of Sharon shrubs are fairly gross with beetles. They don't really seem to be lessening their attack as July begins. Maybe weather has something to do with this? I finally cut off all blooms from the roses and tonight they are eating the leaves! I hope there is something left of the plants when the season ends. Is anyone else facing an unusual onslaught of these rapacious creatures?

Conway, SC

Have not noticed them unusually bad so far here on the coast but-------I was in Orangeburg a month ago and saw a friends crape myrtles that you could honestly get a double handful from any part of the tree. Awful!! The extenson service here has recommended using Acephate 75 SP as directed on the container. Treating the ground in early spring for the grubs which turn into the J. beetle is very imortant to the control. Check with your local Extension office for their advise.

Conway, SC

Stillwood,
Check out this info from Clemson Extension (SC extension service). Scroll down to the section on Jap. beetles. Hope this helps.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/flowers/hgic2107.html

Madison, AL

Living in the middle of the woods makes using milky spore pretty useless I think. The first three years we lived here were beetle free. Then they apparently heard/smelled/saw the plants they like growing here and started coming. It's like a vacation resort for them. I am picking them off at times. But basically I am becoming stoical about it and just accept them as part of what we have to deal with in nature. Hopefully the season will not last much longer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.