Blossoms on Venosa Violaecae getting a lot smaller

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, Against my wishes I got old and had to make new gardens close to the house. I have been moving and dividing old established plants and planting new clematis. I planted Venosa Violeacae (sp?) this year and soft pinched new growth 2 times. The plant is doing well and has been lightly blooming for a few weeks. I noticed to day that the flowers are much smaller and the plant is throwing a lot of buds. I feed and water as I do my other mostly now 2 year or less vines, this consists of compost and old horse manure in these new beds and monthly old horse manure and Alfalfa pellets watered in.The clematis are pretty well muched. I am not familiar with this cultivar and ask your opinions on this growth pattern. The young vine looks fine and perhaps the increased bud count is the sole reason for the reduced flower size. Also, it has been hot and dry up here. I will get my camera back from vacationing family this Sunday and send a few pictures. Thank you Lee Sherwood McDonald

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've ordered it four times and always got a different plant other than what I wanted. Sorry, I can't help you. I feel the cool spring didn't do anything good for our clematises.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=585
This may not be answering your question but this reliable site lists the cultivar as 6 -14 cm in diameter, so small may be normal, esp if compared to those early blooming ones.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lee,
I have 2 of these beautiful clematis so I can probably guess at the size in comparison to other clematis you have. I planted them in 2009 and the first year the flowers did not impress me at all. Last year, and this, I LOVE this clematis. The white center of each flower is vivid and stands out differently than most clematis. Mine just finished blooming but with this crazy spring/summer weather I don't think many plants are doing what they normally would.

My Barbara Harrington is far smaller in plant size this year (4th summer) than she has ever been. Flowers are the same size. Claire de Lune was amazing in the previous 2 years but this year it was barely there after a short, early flush.

Pirl is always up on these things. I would suggest you water deeply but less often. My Venosa rarely gets extra water in my 90s heat. Others, in a different part of the yard, get watered deeply and frequently. I still think it's the strange weather - just throwing in my 2 cents
Kathy

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 8:13 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree. I'm sure it's related to the weather we've had.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you for you thoughtful replies! How grand to share a love with others. First thank you all for sharing your experience with this spring's odd weather, it would take one person a long time to gather that much information! Bananna, the Brit. site is a fascinating and comprehensive source! Shihtzumom,thank you for the specific examples of how even well established clematis are so affected by weather. I am learning you guys. t.t.f.n. Lee

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lee,
I've had clematis be a no show for 2 years and all of a sudden there they are with tons of growth. I know I complained to Debbie at SSV that this happened and she said - be patient (I don't have that gift :() But she knew what she was talking about. She explained that her rainy WA weather will make clematis do different things. This past winter/spring (or lack of) showed me what the weather can do to different clematis. Some will benefit from a dry spring, some will hide out. Learning what people in your area are seeing from clematis, year after year, may help you decide on what will or will not work for you.

This year I have not maintained roses or clematis like I normally would. The high 90 temps and humidity has kept me inside more than I prefer.

Remember to water deeply and less often................good luck Lee!!
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.