Help please - overwatered ferns

Chapel Hill, NC

I bought three huge beautiful boston ferns. I mistakenly put two of them in decorative pots without drainage holes. After noticing that these two were turning yellowish with brown tips, I picked them up and realized they had been sitting in water the whole time as I was giving them two pots of water a day during the time we were having days in the upper 90s.

I have moved them, now, of course, but is there anything else I should do to help them recover? Will they recover? Do I need to trim them?

Thumbnail by javovo

Cut off anything and everything that is brown. It won't get better and will sap the fern's strength and energy. Begin a feeding schedule with 2 Tbsp epsom salt to a gallon of water once a week. Only water when soil is dry.

When I said cut off everything and anything -- I meant the entire frond all the way to the base of the plant. If you have some fronds with only slight damage leave them on until it grows new fronds.

As for watering -- you have to actually touch the soil to determine if it's moist or dry. Don't assume it is dry until you touch it.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 8:15 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.