Snow Lady shasta daisies and clustered bellflower

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

The snow lady has already bloomed but I have not deadheaded it yet. Do I need to leave the dried blooms on it until they completely turn brown or can I deadhead them now to save the seeds? My intentions are to dig it up and move it closer to the front as it is at least 3 yrs. old and being smothered by Dr. Ruppel clematis and next to a clustered bellflower plant that was purchased and planted at same time, which doesn't seem to spread.

Would I be risking losing the above plants by digging them up now and transplanting them in same flowerbed but closer to the front of the border according to its proposed height? Can I try to separate the entire plant when I dig it up before transplantng them? Both were purchased as starter plants at local garden center/nursery.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't know but I am eager to hear the answer too!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Deadheading can be done at any time, the sooner the better as the daisy will begin forming new buds. Personally I cut the stem as low as I can to keep new stems long as I use them in floral bouquets. If you waited a bit after bloom look at stem and at leaf axiles there will be new grows starting, this is where the next bloom is located. Best way to deadhead is cut for inside enjoyment also. lol. Wait til toward the end of the season for letting a few blooms mature for seed, your daisy should bloom til frost. Daisies need dividing approx. every 3 years or so. Dig clump when ready and break apart into sections and replant. Mid summer can be rather hard on plants to do such, better waiting til it begins to cool off or after first frost. That way you also don't risk loosing any blooms as transplanting willl set plant into shock, make sure to keep it watered and cut back foliage, (causes less transpiration). Which campanula do you have? Does that help? Love daisies and campanulas, they are some of my favs. Just curious are you allowing your clematis ramble on the ground or is it just planted too close to others? I am at wrong 'puter but will try to remember to post a pix of my border (is 45ftX100ft, love flowers!!!!!, most I have grown from seed also) If you have any other questions, ask and I will try to answer, all of us were new at one time,LOL. Good Luck, Kathy.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Something I need to do is record height of specific flowers when they bloom so I will know what I need to change the next year or that Fall. I remember I moved some taller shasta daisies last year and that clump will need dividing in the Fall. So will the snapdragons. They could be moved behind the creeping phlox I think. Red tulips need to be in back of bed, as they are tall. Only have a few or one clump of the red tulips, have no idea of their variety. Will see if I saved the front of the bag they may have come in. I usually put it in my garden journal.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

If you need to move somethings spring can be great!!! I'm getting ready to divide my daisies, they are starting to die out in the center, and that is a definate sign that division is needed, also wanting to make more plants for trading.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.