Ellen Bosanquets-one year to the next

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

For those folx I sent a bulb to last year, please don't be upset- IF these are Ellen Bosanquets, mine are behaving strangely this year, and I think it may be because of the weather, their heavy production last year and lack of maintenance most of the year, these are last years blooms

Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

this years blooms

Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like a whole different plant!

Thumbnail by kittriana
Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes I wouldn't have guessed it was the same plant.

I wonder if soil ph has much affect on crinum? That and as you pointed out lack of attention and nutrients.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

These do that, mystified as why, I had heard that they don't always bloom as they did, but this is the first time I've seen it, they were later blooming than usual-our drought- but I did throw bone meal out this year and don't usually, I usually tottally neglect them- also I had to trim leaf length last year due to some other problems, so? too much attention? they store sugars in the bulb and the nex bloom is already pulling energy for its show. Simply wanted to show this to a couple of ppl who had asked for bulbs that I sent to them- they probably think I have been confusing things, but I don't have multitudes to mix, so, we see how they do NEXT year. And by the way- the whole clump did this, about a 4'x3' square of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.