Worms are defoliating my asparagus

Lively (Sudbury), Canada

Worms are defoliating my asparagus. They start at the top and work down. Are very tiny and black at first but grow to about 1/3rd of an inch long and become pale grey. I don't use pesticides, so I'm looking for an appropriate intervention. I sprayed them with a 10% solution of household ammonia (nitrogen) tonight. Will check on progress tomorrow. BTW, it kills army worms (aka tent caterpillars), earwigs, slugs (and eggs), lily beetles (and eggs). So what is the name of this critter and does anyone know its life cycle? Please & Thank you.

Thumbnail by garth_wunsch
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm not familiar with insects up your way but with that dark head, they look like army type worms to me. army worms and tent caterpillars are two different things entirely, btw. since you've found a remedy to kill them, i'd just watch and see if any more appear.

Lively (Sudbury), Canada

If I assessed the "dark head" right... it's bug poop... the head seems to be at the other end :-)

Novato, CA(Zone 10a)

These are larvae of sawflies, a kind of primitive wasp (they are completely harmless and don't bite or sting). The larvae feed on plants, but the adult insects are beneficial to have around since they feed on nectar and other insects.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.