Carolina Jessamine - how poisonous, etc.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I have two very overgrown Carolina Jessamine plants, they are huge and totally unruly. I know this is past the normal pruning time, but I really would like to cut them down radically, almost to the ground if advisable.

What should I do with the cut off vines? Can I put some softer parts into the compost or not because of the poison? I could just drag them into the woods somewhere. Since there is so much, do I need to wear long sleeves and gloves?

Are the roots also poisonous (just in case I decide to get rid of one of them completely).

Many thanks for your advice.

C.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

deer wont eat it so that tells you how poisonous it is, i think. anyway, the sap can irritate your skin if it gets on you, if you are sensitive to it. it doesnt bother some people at all, others get covered with a rash. hard to know but best not to take a chance i think. i would wear gloves and long sleeves. (you could always rub a drop or two of sap on your skin and see if you react, kind of radical, i know)

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

So, what do you think of putting the softer vines into the compost? How long does the poison persist? Or is that too much of a risk?

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

I cut mine back and transplanted them around the first of June and they are coming back pretty well. These dudes are fairly tough so I don't think you will have any touble doing a massive pruning.

They have never ever given me any sort of irritation so I would think tossing them in the compost would be fine.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you both for your advice. It is so terribly hot here, I can't see how I can do much out there now. So I'll just cut some off occasionally, esp. where it grows into the eaves, and do something more serious next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.