White what is it

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Got this plant back a few months ago at the Huntington Library show. Everything seems to be doing well. Lately a lot of new shoots springing up. Also I now have this white whatever growing. This is my first pitcher, so I was pleased it was doing well. Did the research, only New Zealand Spagh. ( I use it with certain orchids) Only Osmosis water. Noe fertilizer and the peat moss is not Miraclr anything. I use about a 50/50 peatmoss sand combo. Any idea what this stuff is? Should I get rid of it and if so how? Pictures coming

TIA

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Another

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Number 3

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Last but not least number 4

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

oops here is 4

Thumbnail by ted5310
Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Looks like powdery mildew. I did a quick google search for 'sarracenia powdery mildew' and found some remedies. I haven't faced this with my own sarracenia, so I can't offer any first hand advice.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Hit it with a SULFUR based Fungicide, Safers makes one.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanx bleeps and Tommy. Any clue what I can do to prevent it?

Arlington, TX

Is it in full sun?

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

All morning to about 2-3 pm. then light shade

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Ted, if you don't get enough info here I would suggest asking the guys at Sarracenia North West. They've helped me a bunch with my various plants (they're also my favorite vendor).

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/711-65271/Carnivorous-Plants/Sarracenia-Northwest.htm

Arlington, TX

I haven't ever had that on CP's, no idea why it happened.

north coast nsw, Australia

That is weird ive never had it either. Let me do a run down on the basics...Plant in a mix of real peat moss and sand and sit in shallow trays of rain water. No fertiliser or feeding them. I'd wipe it of, does it come back?

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Wiping does nothing. Some comes off some not. Right now using a fungicide and it seems to be going away. Also moved it a little so it is in direct sun a little longer

Arlington, TX

ted,
Acclimate it to full sun slowly or you might burn the current leaves. Mine are in full sun in TX so trust me they can take a lot of sun.
C

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I hear you. Adding just a little more sun every other day

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.